Low protein diet for Indio Gigantes?

bizybirdie

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2021
SC
I'm soon getting some IG chicks, but I've been reading they should be fed a low protein diet to help insure proper bone development. I've been searching, but have not been able to find out what % protein would be considered "low" enough! Any help on proper diet from anyone on here that has raised them will be greatly appreciated!

Someone is going to flag me. I'm developing a reputation on the feed forums. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the breed, and have read no studies related to feeding them specifically. I can only assume they have no commercial value as layers or meat birds - or that their value for those purposes are confined largely to non-English speaking countries.

I did find this, but haven't read it. It may interest you, but at first glance, does not appear to answer your question.

I'm soon getting some IG chicks, but I've been reading they should be fed a low protein diet to help insure proper bone development. I've been searching, but have not been able to find out what % protein would be considered "low" enough! Any help on proper diet from anyone on here that has raised them will be greatly appreciated!
Perhaps someone like @centrarchid @nicalandia @Pyxis @MysteryChicken can assist you with how you need to feed.
Not sure what you have read and what's consider a "low protein diet". Do you have links to that info?

Perhaps someone like @centrarchid @nicalandia @Pyxis @MysteryChicken can assist you with how you need to feed.
Not sure what you have read and what's consider a "low protein diet". Do you have links to that info?
I wish I could find link that I read the reason for low protein - it was so that the chicks bodies don't grow so fast that their bones can't properly support them.

RareRoosters.com FAQ says:
We recommend feeding Medicated Chick Starter for the first 8 weeks; then, you can move them over to a layer crumble 14-16% protein.

I wish I could find link that I read the reason for low protein - it was so that the chicks bodies don't grow so fast that their bones can't properly support them.

RareRoosters.com FAQ says:
We recommend feeding Medicated Chick Starter for the first 8 weeks; then, you can move them over to a layer crumble 14-16% protein.
I understand. I would hesitate to feed a layer feed at 8 weeks and older due to the higher calcium content, but if this is the breeder you are getting them from, then following their recommendations is probably the best.
I might consider using a 14-16% grower/finisher with a lower calcium than layer feed, if you can find one for weeks 8-20 weeks or so then switch to a layer. Not sure when they come into lay, but I *assume* they would be slower coming into lay.

Those long legs are something else! This will be fun for you, hope the chicks arrive happy and healthy.

Suspect the poster may have previously read something like this . If so, you can look at feed restriction regimen for Cornish Cross birds to get an idea of how that's carried out in practice.

/edit traditionally, that been quantitative feed restricts - feeding a set amount once or twice daily. More recently, qualitative feed restrictions have been tested, and are generally superior (essentially, a complete feed, but lower total energy, lower overall protein, so the birds need to eat more of it to meat their needs, stretched over a longer time horizon). As "more feed" (even lower cost feed) is generally not economically viable, and reduced growth rates = reduced table weight/time, its easy to understand why the commercial chicken meat industry isn't pursuing the strategy, and doing little to study it. You will find more info on feeding of breeding lines for fast growth birds, whose economic value is defined by reproductive success, not table weight.

With those long leg bones, you definitely want to consider your Calcium/Phosphorus ratios. Excess calcium inhipits P uptake, and can result in numerous bone problems, particularly during formation.

Last edited:
I have Malays, I feed high protein. I fed 24% Protein to my Malay chicks, & they grew up like any other chick on high protein feed. They're now on 20% flock Raiser.

Low protein isn't necessary for breeds like this.

Increasing their fat intake a bit seems to help with feather growth, figured this one out while raising my Malays. While in the brooder I'd give them a baby cake every once in the while. The clue that told me they needed more fat, was the fact they started eating poop, fresh poop from each other.
Baby cakes stopped the poop eating.

I have reduced protein levels for my birds, especially during winter and for roosters on a maintenance diet. For chicks / juveniles I start with a balanced starter feed with about 18% crude protein. I assume all the vitamins and minerals the birds need come from the starter. Then I dilute the starter with a mixture of millet, wheat and cracked corn so the overall protein level is down around 14%. The balanced amino acid profile is a lower still, but has been sufficient. About 1/3 of mixture has been the grains. Once birds are about 4 weeks old the grain are supplied whole.

Some of the problem may be due to lack of exercise and nutrients other than protein.

Where IG's developed I think they use more rice and millet and may have even cooked it. The oriental games have clearly been selected for making do on low protein diets.

I did finally find a 15% protein maintenance crumble, but now after reading all the replies her, not sure if it's really necessary. Here is analysis of 15% food:

Crude Protein, Min 15.00 %
Lysine, Min 0.70 %
Methionine, Min 0.35 %
Crude Fat, Min 3.00 %
Crude Fiber, Max 5.00 %
Calcium, Min 0.70 %
Calcium, Max 1.20 %
Phosphorus, Min 0.70 %
Salt, Min 0.25 %
Salt, Max 0.75 %
Manganese, Min 135 ppm
Selenium, Min 0.3 ppm
Vitamin A, Min 4,275 IU/lb
Vitamin E, Min 21 IU/lb
Phytase, Min 454 FYT/lb

chkn-food.jpg

I believe that is a Cuban breed of chicken, they are of Asian type and very large like Malays, I suggest that the least you want is a low protein level, they grow slow and a normal diet would be enough. Low protein diets are for Super Fast Broiler type birds to control their weight.

Back
Top Bottom