1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lowering the roost bar?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    my highest roost bar is very close to the ceiling, and the birds love to be on the highest one. I really did not have any trouble with frostbite, with the very, very cold weather, I think it was too dry (all the moisture was frozen solid) I had more trouble when it was warming up a bit in the day, thawing things out, and then getting very cold at night. The water condenses and then freezes.

Last week, I took the top bar down, they now have close to 18 inches above their heads. I think it give better ventilation, and it seems drier in there...... anyway no further signs of frostbite.

What do you think?

Mrs K

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Definitely possible. All of that moisture rises with the warm air and then sits there if there is no place for it to go.

Do make sure that the perch is wide enough so that the toes don't get frostbit. Frostbite on wattle edges and comb edges (though it makes me feel horrid) doesn't seem to be a problem for the birds. Frostbite on toes is very serious.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had more problems with frostbite when it 'warmed' up also...the warmer air holds more moisture.

When coop temps were below 15F humidity was 20-40%, once it warmed up to above 25F humidity rose to 50-70%.

Even with a false ceiling 3ft above roost and lots of higher ventilation we got some frostbite in that warmer, moister air.

Luckily none of it, even blackened wattles, manifested in swelling or infection...seems to be healing up just fine(crosses fingers, cause winter ain't over yet)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by