Lowest temperature quail can live outside

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Maiahr, Sep 11, 2019.

1. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    tibet.PNG
    There you have the tibetan. He hatched out darker than the rosetta roo in the next picture and with dark legs and pink toes - a telltale sign of a tibetan, I've read.
    rosetta.PNG
    Rosetta roo to the left, hen to the right. I think the difference in color is more obvious in real life.
    gray.PNG
    And just because I'm posting pictures anyway, my gray hued rosetta hen.

Attached Files:

Maiahr likes this.
  2. thatbeechick

thatbeechick Chirping

Aug 27, 2019
    Australia (VIC)
    She's a girl. No, you can't feather sex with them. This was about two weeks before she started laying.

Maiahr likes this.
  3. thatbeechick

thatbeechick Chirping

Aug 27, 2019
    Australia (VIC)
    My tuxedo Tibetan girl has pink middle toes like you've described.

Maiahr likes this.
  4. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

@thatbeechick she is very interesting!!
    @DK newbie I have a Tibetan/Rosetta which does not have pink toes.. are you sure ALL Tibetans have pink toes? Or do they appear at an older age? Mine is 25 days old.

Attached Files:

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm not sure all tibetans have pink toes no, but I think they are at least supposed to have dark legs, which yours don't seem to have (admittedly my tibetan roo doesn't have much pigment left in his legs, but I'm pretty sure he did when he was 25 days old). The pink toes are visible from they hatch. Rosettas, however, don't have the pink toes - yours might be a rosetta. I'm not exactly an expert at telling the two apart, but if my roos are typical the tibetans have very little pattern in their feathers compared to rosettas. Looks like the chest feathers of yours have a nice pattern. Could well be a rosetta, but a picture where the bird doesn't pretend to be dead (how did you make it do that?) might help :D

6. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Right.. so I thought Rosetta is a subspecies of Tibetan. This is what I have read. I will wait for another week and will post a new picture. I am almost sure it is a she as she is calm, brave and quiet as opposed to the males who run around non-stop and yell all the time for nothing. All my baby quails like to sleep on their backs on my lap.

7. thatbeechick

thatbeechick Chirping

Aug 27, 2019
    Australia (VIC)
    She was born with her two pink toes, still has them now as an adult. They were even more prominent when she was little!

Maiahr likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: