LSG + pet =disaster?

Sellsouthfl

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2023
Lost my first bird to predators and DH and I agreed to get a LSG. Problem is we have a house dog, a bouvier, who recently lost her big brother and would LOVE a playmate. She is no good with the birds, high prey drive for anything that runs. How in the world can I train a LSG if I have a playful house dog running around? I’m afraid of a few things: having a LSG live and sleep outside while house dog sleeps with us. Will one be constantly trying to be around the other? Last thing I need is a 150 lb Pyrenees covered in dirt trying to sneak into my house as I bring in groceries…

For those of you who have pet plus LSG, how do you handle the different roles of family dog and farm dog? What ways are best to manage them both? I want to have a clear set of expectations before diving in.

Attachments

• 9B16B2B2-BFEE-440C-B962-EB2578B5F75D.jpeg
    9B16B2B2-BFEE-440C-B962-EB2578B5F75D.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 9
Well, it all starts with a responsible and ethical breeder. Find one that also has chickens, and whose dogs have been good around them. That breeder would be your mentor for everything, a good place to start is the parent club of the breed you are considering. As for the interactions between your two dogs, they can have as many as they'd like, just not around chickens

Our neighbors have 2 pet dogs, 2 herding dogs AND 2 livestock guardians. The livestock guardians live with the goats 24/7. All the others get to come in the house.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom