LUCKILY a Silkie Cannot Count

that black hen that stayed off the nest for so long just add an extra day or 2, they might be a bit late but still could hatch.

I agree, so I'm going to wait until the October 25th before I remove any eggs from any of the the three nests. The blue hen's eggs began hatching on the 17th and today's the 21st. These three poor hens are going to get lots of special treats when this ordeal is over.​

Quote:
They sure are. We've had Elizabeth, a splash, for two years. Yesterday Anne took the four blue and one splash young ones that hatched this summer out of the barn coop to play in the back yard. Lo and behold, one of them laid its first egg there, but Anne found it. Once we see the young rooster mating the hens, I'm going to hatch some more. We bought the chicks from Little Ameraucana Mom (Thanks, Sally) here in Indiana.
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen elsewhere, I'd bet that I could show mine; they're that good. I never will show any though because I use my moustache shaver to trim the fuzz from around their eyes so that they can see everything; they're a lot happier that way.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree, so I'm going to wait until the October 25th before I remove any eggs from any of the the three nests. The blue hen's eggs began hatching on the 17th and today's the 21st. These three poor hens are going to get lots of special treats when this ordeal is over.

WOOOO HOOO!
There's a chick under one of the black hens this morning, and another chick is pipping under the blue hen.

I'm going to start giving any chicks that hatch from the blacks to the blue hen. Day after tomorrow, I'll move her and whatever number of chicks from her and the black hens to one of the barn's four coops that are 4'x10' (another is 4'x24'). She'll be across the aisle from Elizabeth. I might even take a couple of chicks from Elizabeth's eight to put under the blue hen; they can help teach the younger ones to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom