Lucky then unlucky- mixed silkie?

ChiefSuperFly

Chirping
Jun 27, 2017
Boone
I bought a beautiful show quality (possibly?) silkie hen. Then I found a "trio" of white silkies for sale. Comes to find out it was 2 Roos and a hen :( I sold one roo and just recently sold the other because he was aggressive with my girls and even tried mounting my standard hens! So I have this doll baby splash and white silkie now. Yesterday a friend of mine lent me his super handsome silkie roo. Now I see it's VERY POSSIBLE the trio I got were not true silkies... she's being aggressive with him and she's like 3 times his size... she's got it all, blue earlobes, feather feed, extra toe and black skin. Her comb looks different tho but the right color.
My question is: what could she be mixed with?

Adding a pic of my sweet splash (showable?) she's just about 5 months old

And a pic of Henry (rehomed now) and Irma

Photo's will help. Are they laying yet to know for sure they are hens. A silkie hen should not have a very noticeable comb. Although, there could be a few reasons for this 1) my first silkies (I believe now that they came for tractor supply stock) were huge and mean, I have heard this over and over about TSC silkies. 2) could be roos as silkies are notorious for being hard to sex 3) he is new to the flock so normal pecking order applies. They will need to accept him to the flock before any breeding will happen. Another thing to consider is you said your friend "lent" you his silkie roo, you should never add chickens to your flock without quarantining them you are asking for trouble. Just because your friends flock looks and acts healthy well doesn't mean they are not carriers of something and spread it to your flock.

Last edited:
The big white started laying late last week, so I am excited about that!

I've been trying over and over to get the pics to upload and it keep saying upload error I will try again later.

Back
Top Bottom