Lucy can't swallow

BBsChicks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Rocklin, CA
My nine year old matriarch, Lucy, seems to be having trouble swallowing. At first I thought she was mourning because her BFF, Ethel, recently died.
Lucy is a Rhode Island Red and Ethel was a Buff Orpington. Ethel had been slowing down and simply went to bed one night and didn't get up.
Lucy still insists the youngun' wait til she says it is OK to eat. She pecks around at the food but not much is going down. I've tried hand feeding her and she gives it the ol' college try, but I am worried. I came in to make some mush for her and see if I can look inside her mouth.
Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

My nine year old matriarch, Lucy, seems to be having trouble swallowing. At first I thought she was mourning because her BFF, Ethel, recently died.
Lucy is a Rhode Island Red and Ethel was a Buff Orpington. Ethel had been slowing down and simply went to bed one night and didn't get up.
Lucy still insists the youngun' wait til she says it is OK to eat. She pecks around at the food but not much is going down. I've tried hand feeding her and she gives it the ol' college try, but I am worried. I came in to make some mush for her and see if I can look inside her mouth.
Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
It might be old age, but as a first step you can check for gapeworms. Rule out one thing at a time.

She ate lots of mush (feed, greek yogurt, mealworms and raw shelled sunflower seeds), then drank lots of the water I added to the dish (it turned white from the yogurt). She wanted NO part of showing me the inside of her mouth. She does seems drooly but that didn't stop her from chowing down. Maybe she just needed some attention.

Is there a definitive way to check for gape worm? Does food grade diatomaceous earth treat gape worm or do I need to buy Flubenol or Aviverm? They are not shaking their heads or mouth breathing (unless it is hot).

Back
Top Bottom