Lump in throat above crop

kproffer

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
SE Missouri
I have noticed one of my hens staying in the run and not roosting in the coop at night. We’ve been helping her back in and since she seemed ok otherwise didn’t think much about it. I noticed tonight that she is stretching her neck when eating and has a large lump (golf ball size) that moves side to side when she does so. It’s in the middle of her stretched neck, above her crop. I lost one to gapeworm last year (couldn’t find meds locally) and she does not seem to be yawning like that one did. Could it still be gapeworm or ???

How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Has she been trying to adjust her crop? What are you feeding her? Does she have grit available? Check her crop tomorrow before she has had access to food or water, and and tell us if it is empty and flat, or full and hard, puffy, or doughy. She may have an impacted crop.

She’s either 3 years or 8 months. I have two that looks so similar I can’t tell the difference unless they’re side by side 😬 I’ll inspect them together in the morning when I check her crop. Otherwise they’re all eating layer crumbles, foraging and have grit available

How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Has she been trying to adjust her crop? What are you feeding her? Does she have grit available? Check her crop tomorrow before she has had access to food or water, and and tell us if it is empty and flat, or full and hard, puffy, or doughy. She may have an impacted crop.
She’s three. I gave her a dose of fenbendazole last night. Her crop is empty and she’s lost a lot of weight. She seemed lethargic this morning but was out in the run wit the others and eager to eat. She wasn’t doing the weird neck thing when she ate, so hopefully the wormer is helping 🤞🏻Anything else I should do?

She’s three. I gave her a dose of fenbendazole last night. Her crop is empty and she’s lost a lot of weight. She seemed lethargic this morning but was out in the run wit the others and eager to eat. She wasn’t doing the weird neck thing when she ate, so hopefully the wormer is helping 🤞🏻Anything else I should do?
Is there an update on your hen's status? I'm curious because one of mine is developing a lump -- about nickel- to quarter-sized -- in roughly the same area.

Thanks for any follow-up information.

Back
Top Bottom