lumpy chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mistylady, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Last night I went to get the hens in for the night. I reached down and picked one up and felt a big lump on her lower front neck. I petted another on the neck just above the breast and she had a smaller lump. Another one had a bigger lump. They had all been outside eating grass and bugs. Is this the croup? This morning I didn't feel it on the hen I picked up.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes, what you felt is their crop. It is a big buldge at the top part of their chest. It is fuller at the end of the day from eating all day. I too notice it more when my chickens are out free ranging all afternoon. Totally normal.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I read that the food in the crop is being processed throughout the night which is why its small in the morning.

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Thank you everyone! ((((hugs)))) I feel better! I'd be lost if something was wrong with my girls. They're feathered family.

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I totally understand how you feel. It is funny how attached we become to them. Did I mention.......I love my chickens!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by