Lurker gone member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EggyErin, Apr 2, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Hello All - I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot. Now I have a problem so I'm ready to join! I live in a tiny community in the N. Ga mountains and got my first hens back in October, already grown-ups - 2 New Hamps, 1 Auraucana, 1 Buff Orp and 1 bantam ??. I built my coop starting in April and by September it was done. I did most of it myself, thus the extended building time. But it's just what I wanted. I now have 4 month-old chicks - 3 Ameraucanas and 1 Silver-Laced Wyandotte. I also have 2 new cotton balls - a Maran and a Welsummer. A question: Is Maran pronounced as it would be in French, or as Maran or Maran (with the ran like I ran a race)? I have a husband who likes the chickens and indulges my animal time and expenses pretty well, 2 horses, a dog and 2 cats. We have a big garden and want more and more to provide as much food for ourselves as possible. My husband is an arborist so we always have lots of wood for building projects and firewood so we're pretty self-sustaining in many ways. I plan to sell some eggs to offset the feed costs, though the girls free-roam all around our yard, which is pretty big. I'm trying to coax them down to the manure pile but they're not willing to venture there yet. They don't realize that Nirvana awaits.... This looks like a fun and knowledgeable group and I'm happy to be a part. Please see my post in Raising Baby Chicks to help solve my little SLW's problem!

2. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

3. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the forum. I also live in the north Georgia mountains - in Ellijay. Husband and I are currently in the 'brooder' phase
    with 52 two and a half week old chicks - Barred Rocks - that we ordered and received - day old - from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio.
    We originally ordered all Welsummers, two males and 15 females, but the hatchery called to tell us that the Welsummer females
    didn't hatch out so we had a choice from several breeds and chose the Barred Rocks. Problem for us is that they adjusted the
    number we would get based on the price difference - ok - fine so that meant we were supposed to get three male chicks and
    24 females - BUT - when they arrived they had sent us a double order so we had 54 chicks. Now our brooder box is really packed
    and we're fixing up the chicken house for them. We're pretty well into the 'homesteading' lifestyle as well and continue to work
    toward being as self sufficient as is practical for us.

Elaine & Phillip
    Mountain View Farms
    Ellijay, GA

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] from NC! [​IMG]

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

Glad you've officially joined in [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I think most pronounce it like I ran a race. But, I wonder if it's supposed to sound like Marons. Good question. [​IMG]

8. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    [​IMG]

9. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    BYC is the place to be lots of great information.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

BYC is the place to be

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by