Lurker no Longer

chickenchic1

Hatching
Mar 19, 2015
I have raised backyard hens (8) in the Chicago suburbs for nearly three years now, and I love it. My birds are so quirky and fun to watch: it's like having living art in the backyard. I actually found this site because, unfortunately, one of my birds, a three year old Isa Brown, died suddenly this afternoon, and I was searching the internet looking for answers (which I don't think I'll find) and comfort (which I found here). I just don't understand. She was free-ranging around the backyard one minute, and, when I went to check on a broody bird in the coop (not the one that died) about 30 minutes later, she was dead under a bush with no marks or signs of struggle at all. In fact, she was still very warm, so I think she had died minutes before I found her. There was nothing out of the ordinary: my birds have eaten the same food, drank the same water, lived in the same coop, and free-ranged in the same yard every day for three years. I just can't keep wondering what went wrong. I also can't figure out why I am so **** sad over a chicken! But, she was definitely the leader of the flock and was always the first to greet me every day. I miss her.

So very sorry for your loss. There aren't words - and we all go through that sadness when we loose one of our favorites (and they are usually all favorite for something).

hugs.gif
hit.gif

The heavy-duty egg layers -- like your ISA and like a Golden Comet I had -- are not bred for longevity. You know that she had a happy chicken-life --- and died without a long protracted period of illness and suffering. Chickens don't expect much more than that.

Welcome to the forum!! (as a member that is) ;O)

welcome-byc.gif

and
hugs.gif
sorry for your loss.

Chickat said it well. Our first group of girls were sex links and the oldest lived to be almost 4. They were designed for eggs and not a long life unfortunately. Different breeds will have different life expectancies.

Enjoy your birdies and welcome to the chat!

Sometimes birds just die for no apparent reason Sorry for you loss. Hope your others continue to do well. Welcome to the flock.

Thank you all so much for all of your kind words. This morning I went out to open up the coop, and I immediately noticed that one of my other birds--an otherwise strong and beautiful Rhode Island Red--was huddled up in the corner. When I picked her up, she made some gurgling sounds: clearly, she is close to passing. She seemed just fine yesterday when I let her out, although my son noticed that she was crouched in the corner when he locked them up last night. At three years old, does this seem right? She and the ISA brown who died (very suddenly) a week ago were best buddies; could this having something to do with her obvious demise? Two healthy, happy, well-cared for birds in one week? Ughhhh...

Back
Top Bottom