Lurking a while and finally joining

Hey All, been learning here for a while and finally decided to join. I'll soon be heading in to my second year of chicken stewardship and a lot of you have helped me along the way.
Following the "Sample template" for introductions....
I started with 4 hens bought as chicks in March, but ended up losing two in August shortly after they started laying. A golden laced Wyandotte was dinner for a neighbors dog (I left a gate open), and a Maran died suddenly.
The neighbor funded the purchase of 7 additional chicks.
I now have the OGs (RIR and ISA Brown), a pair of golden laced Wyandottes, pair of Black Australorps, another ISA, another RIR and a Buff Orpington, all of which will be laying soon if the winter conditions allow. Except for one.
One of the Australorps ended up being a he. He hasn't crowed yet at 16wks but he's obviously not going to lay an egg (named him Jerry)
Aside from having fresh eggs, and more importantly to me, I enjoy caring for them and watching them work., and I'm definitely guilty of spoiling them all.
Welcome to BYC!!

Thanks to everyone for the worm welcome. Forgot to mention I'm in SE Michigan. Guess I need to work on my profile a little,
Don't worry. Almost everyone her spoils their chickens to ;)
Also are you keeping Jerry?
He's a good looking dude and I'm planning on keeping him as long as he behaves, if I can.
I could grow my own with a rooster. So far he's a big baby, but not quite to maturity so we'll see. He is the reason I decided to sign up rather than just watch. I don't trust my local govt. Per the ordinance, I (an many around me) aren't supposed to have any livestock on less that 3 acres. I have 1.5.
I read some older posts here on Michigan's Right To Farm act and will be seeing if I can fire that discussion back up. I am zoned AG, so should be able to leverage act, and hoping others may have some experience. Immediate neighbors are cool, but all it takes is someone 1/2 mile a way to hear a rooster and start a mess of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom