Lying chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vermont Poultry, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Today I was in my room and I looked out the window towards the chicken coop and all the chickens looked quite concerned and I heard chicken noises, not clearly because I am in the house. I thought that the wild turkeys I had just chased off 15 minutes prior had returned to check the chickens out and they were startled. So I went outside, no turkeys, but my 19 week old Wyandotte hen was doing the egg song, exactly like in the videos I have watched. "Bauwk bauwk bauwk BAUCOCK" repeatedly, I searched the area and no egg was found. Honestly I would be surprised that she laid an egg because she is only 19 weeks old, and a GLW which is a slower maturing breed. Is it possible she is soon to lay an egg. I posted earlier that I thought she had squatted for me but it was a kind of a half effort squat, that idea was dismissed by some but I am still pretty sure that half squats are a thing cause my Barred Rock did it for my rooster but last second flew away. I also believe the chickens looked concerned because they have never heard the egg song before. The rooster did his first crow the same day of the first false egg song.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My gut instinct says that a bird of prey may have passed overhead since all of the birds were showing concern.

3. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    That is unusual, Especially for a chicken at 19 weeks. I would keep a good lookout for any eggs. That would be weird if she did lay an egg at 19 weeks. Like you said though it could be a false Egg song. Good luck though.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees^^^

The 'alarm call' sounds very similar to the 'egg song'.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Possibly. But when crows and hawks pass over usually one chicken lets out a single call, one syllable and they all stand still. I think they looked concerned because of the pullet "singing" (which they have never heard before). The pullet making the noise seemed relaxed and walked quite prideful. Anything is possible I guess when it comes to chickens, I hope it means she is close to laying, after she did that I spent 3 hours building five nesting boxes in the freezing cold. Fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by