M I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter...ahh, nevermind....Mississippi

Pics
Hello from WEST POINT , MS
wee.gif
19 miles south of West Point here!

i use a little bit of everything. bermuda hay, wheat straw pine straw, pine shavings, just whatever i feel like it that day. i also gt in there and till it under a couple of times a year. do not use cedar shavings, fumes from that are badfor birds. while your house is being built payattention to the scrap pile, lots of great coops have been built from a construction pile.
We have a pile of cedar dust from where we have cut cedar boards with the saw mill. They run straight for it and will dust bath in it over the hundreds of spots of dust in our yard. Someone forgot to tell mine it is not good for them.

We have a pile of cedar dust from where we have cut cedar boards with the saw mill. They run straight for it and will dust bath in it over the hundreds of spots of dust in our yard. Someone forgot to tell mine it is not good for them.
The fumes from cedar shavings has an effect on the respiratory system. That being said though, I have seen sawdust from Cedar as well as cedar shavings used in a open environment that had a lot of ventilation with no ill effects. I think it depends on whether or not the birds get good airflow; which with the majority of peoples coops being as they are more like houses and may only have one point of airflow (I.e. A window or such) birds are exposed to the fumes more than they would be in free range or in say, a wire cage.

I don't typically encourage the use of cedar shavings because of the effect they are known to have. But, I will say in a environment with a lot of open space (i.e. free range/wire cages and so on) I have seen both shavings and dust used with no ill effects. I've even watched birds roost in cedar trees night after night (I raise games, so I let young fowl and a lot of hens free range until its time for to pen them up) with no ill effect.

God bless,
Daniel.

Hello,
I need to rehome Ricky. Anyone in the Jackson MS area that would love to add him to their flock, please let me know. I live in the city limits and cannot have Roosters. Ricky is a 6 month old Buff Orpington that I raised from a day old chick. He has just started to crow and my neighbors, although amused are not smiling.

Hello,
I need to rehome Ricky. Anyone in the Jackson MS area that would love to add him to their flock, please let me know. I live in the city limits and cannot have Roosters. Ricky is a 6 month old Buff Orpington that I raised from a day old chick. He has just started to crow and my neighbors, although amused are not smiling.
Designer Chic, That is an awesome picture of Ricky! I can't believe how manly he's gotten in just a few weeks!!! To anyone that may be interested in him, I can guarantee that he is coming from an unbelievable home and a clean flock! I too, would love to take him off of your hands, but just so rooster-heavy right now.
yippiechickie.gif

eta

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom