Machete vs Hatchet?

I'm finding the chop method requires two people. I put 2 long nails on one end of the stump to hold the head but find it easier to also hold the head down in place with a long piece of PVC. One person holds one end of the PVC & pulls on the zip-tied legs to stretch the neck. The other holds the other end of the PVC & gives a good strong chop with the hatchet or machete or cleaver.

I think the next time I'm going to move the nails closer together to see if I can get the head to hold by itself. I think I put them too far apart & the bird would slip out when its legs were pulled back.

I was also considering constructing a hinged device, sort of like those Colonial stocks that criminals were held in, a hinged board with a small cut-out for the neck to go through but not big enough for the head to come out.

I've seen people get a good clean chop with a machete, one stroke and the head was off. But we do better with the heavier hatchet. My husband can get a clean chop with one strong stroke, but my girlfriend & I have to take a few whacks. I think we just need to get the right mental attitude & realize it's really more of a kindness to chop hard & strong the first time. I think we're hesitating at the last minute when we just need to be decisive & strong.

i prefer to use a sharp knife and slit throats. it is a quick kill, easier on my arms, no fear of missing the target zone..... just my 2 cents

julie
smile.png
I researched this issue since I was told slitting their throats was an effective method... effective yes.. but humane no...a hatchet or pruning shears works best for me. With the shears you break their neck immediately.

When I butcher I want as long as a neck possible, so a slit with a sharp knife under chin is all I need. If done right you could sever the head the right off. I use a machete quite a bit around the farm and I'm not accurate enough to make a good shot every time.

Back
Top Bottom