MADE IN THE USA- challenge..

No offence taken here, I agree with you.

I have been doing this for years. With one exception, my car, but it was built here, at least I think so.

It is a Honda. But a superb car. I did have a british Rover that had a Honda engine, and it was a huge improvement on an all british model of higher spec. Proven over many years, so I went to a Honda this time. Plus we have no British car anymore but I have been eyeing up the tiny model built in India, and anxiously await it arriving here.... don't know the name.

But my new slogan is "Buy Local and think Global" and if everyone did that we would be doing ok.

Good for you all , you have my total support.

Jena.

Apple juice made with U.S. apples is available from 1 of our 4 Wal-Marts. It is Indian Summer, www.cherrycentral.com.

Try to buy a baby item not from China! It's almost impossible to buy baby clothes or even adult clothes that are American made. We've tried for several years to buy American.

Recalled generic drugs are listed at this website: www.fox17.com. Click on Recall, Actavis Drug Recall. Some drugs are simply under the potency level, but it seems to me that most drugs are made in China, if not Asia.

Thank you BYC for allowing us to pool our information. This must be the electronic ham operation.

Last edited:
Hi Country Lady,

I agree with you. That is why I am now setting up a local company myself.

I am making baby and childrens clothes, along with household wares and working with others like carpenters and some local suppliers to sell handmade and small producer supplies.

It is difficult to deal with the more technical stuff, but the govt is ploughing money into foreign countries to come here and produce goods, when I am sure we can build somethings ourselves. This builds a local economy.

a few years ago they gave 40 million to South Koreans to come here to build their TVs, bought up 5 farms, built new roads, new estates for the overseas workers, new schools. Company went bust 2 weeks after they had spent a huge amount on a bridge over the road to the factory, with a huge sign saying thank you to the company, and now the massive factory buildings are left to rot.

I am sure local enterprise could have used that money and been productive for the local community.

Part of the backyard economy.

Jena.

OK how do you handle the multinational companies? I have 2 jobs,
one is for a German compressor company. We have dozens of US
offices and hundreds of employees here. The compressors are made
in Germany with parts made all over Europe. The quality of them are
superior to anything made here such as Ingersol Rand. 15% of the
price of running a compressor goes into the initial purchase. 85%
goes into maintenance and energy costs. If a US machine shop uses
one of our compressors they will have more uptime than using a US made
one, meaning they don't brake down as much. A shop without compressed
air is like a shop without electrcity. Now there are guys standing around
not working until the air system is repaired, thereby lowing productivity.
See the catch 22 here?

My second job is servicing electrical generators. Most of those are still
made here. They use Cat, Cummins, John Deere, Briggs, Ford, & Chevy
engines. Some Japanese product is making it's way in like Kubota which
is as good if not better than any American product.

Now they are is Chinese garbage coming into the country. It's total junk.

PurpleChicken, you are so right about global manufacturing. Decades ago Laurence Rockefeller tried to do the same thing but he called it "One World."

We simply shop for fewer things whenever possible because of it. We do buy some foreign things, mostly jam from Big Lots. We love the jams from Canada, Denmark, and France. and they usually cost less than Wal-Mart. I never see anything from England in stores. We rarely knowingly buy food products from 3rd world countries. Maybe bananas. I haven't seen canned Hawaiian pineapple in years. Probably the land is too expensive now.

I want to buy locally if I can.

Quote:
Hey - at least we can make a box.
th.gif

And the trees and paper for said box... It's gotta start somewhere
wink.png

AT last!!! ...... I have read labels for years and only ever buy British.... not European ...but British Food produced by our farmers.......have even been known to rant in asda (Walmart) about their importing Argentinian beef!!!!! Our farming methods are one of the most stringent in the world ........ have you ever seen how they raise chickens in Europe...Not for me no thanks Brussels you can keep it!... they are also trying to stop our dairy farmers producing too much milk.....why...Brussells says its unfair and they want us to import milk....gawd makes me laugh everytime...

Do you remember a while back when China had made a manufacturing town called USA.... so it made it look like it was made in United States.

They will try anything.

Back
Top Bottom