Made my brooder from an old pine dresser

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by G-Man, Mar 2, 2012.

1. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a tenant move out and leave a dresser and parts of a broken bed.
    The only before picture I have is this one taken at the rental house in town.
    It was missing the bottom drawers and the ones that are there were badly damaged.

[​IMG]

My original plan was to sand the entire cabinet down and apply the red stain you see on the door. Even after a ton of sanding and applying a soft wood conditioner, the stain went on pretty blotchy... I wasn't happy with the finish and just decided to leave it as it is.

[​IMG]

I know the chicks will probably outgrow this brooder fairly quick. I'll be using this cabinet inside my hen house (on the human side) as a place to keep a bird that needs to be isolated from the flock for whatever reason.

[​IMG]

I found an under counter fluorescent light fixture that I mounted on the ceiling of the brooder.
    I still need to come up with some locking hardware for the door.

[​IMG]

Now I'm ready for my chicks to hatch.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    That is such a great idea!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Great job! Far better than my attempt at doing something similar.I once turned an old dresser I found at Goodwill into a brooder, but I has the not-so-bright idea to keep the bottom drawer inside it, thinking I could just pull it out when I needed to add shavings or fill the waterer and feeder. Well, that meant I couldn't put the hardware cloth completely over the front, or make doors for it... So the hardware cloth was a wrapped affair... But the braces for the drawers, sans the middle and top drawer, worked very well as baby chick roosts. :p Lovely marble top... I wish I had thought it through like you did, though! Sadly, I no longer have that dresser to re-work.

But yours is great!
    :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. Velma&theChix

Velma&theChix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Missouri
    I love this idea and you did such a wonderful job building it! Makes me want to go out and find an old dresser.[​IMG]

5. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you everyone for your positive remarks. I'm glad you like it.

Tenants leave stuff after they move out all the time; mostly just garbage they don't want to deal with. I stored it untouched in my garage for way more than the law requires.
    As soon as I saw it still in the bedroom, I knew I was going to use it for my coop build.
    I carefully disassembled the remaining four drawers and am planning to use those materials for the nesting boxes too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by