Made new brooder, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wasn't sure if ts should go in raising chicks or here...

Made a slightly larger brooder for our four chicks. Used my son's old small kiddie pool and a few display boards. Scored the cardboard every 6 inches so that it would bend and hug the curves of the pool. Using a stuido microphone stand to hold heat light, nice and easy to raise and lower. Need to add some little roosts for them to play on and am planning on cutting a window to cover with some extra hardware cloth just for some air.

What do you think? Big enough for them until they are ready for outside? When can I put them outside? It's too hot for them now, getting upmto 98 during the day.

Think I'll need a cover before they move to their coop?
    [​IMG]

2. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    looks lovely, if its getting up to 98 a day then you probably dont need a heat lamp unless it cools down at night! wonderful setup!

3. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    I'm using a heat light because the brooder is indoors [​IMG]

4. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    This is really nice. I need to set one up soon as I have chicks coming around Father's Day and husband has declared the living room off limits for chickens. So they are going in my workshop, which is fine. I just need to set something up for them. Great idea. I will be off to the store this weekend.

5. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Thats too much heat. move the light up higher or replace it with a blue lower watt light.
    I would make holes in the cardboard to get more ventalation, not so big they can get out
    That would help lower the heat also.

6. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I like your swimming pool brooder. [​IMG]

7. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    Yvonne- what makes you think its too much heat?? its a 75w bulb, thermometer reads 87 and the chicks are happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by