Magpie duck won't swim and wonders off from the others

notafanofpets

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
I have a magpie, maybe 5 weeks old, and 3 ducklings, that's 2 weeks old. Since day 1, the ducklings have always followed/copied the magpie. I recently started letting them roam a bit, training them for free range but the last few days the magpie refuses to stay with the ducklings and WILL NOT get into the pool although it use to love it. Also when I put them back in their pen the ducklings come running but the magpie acts like its scared to come near me. I had the magpie first and it used to eat out of my hand, follow me around and go into the pen as soon as I put food in. It also doesnt seem as active as the ducklings. It finds a shady spot and stays there.

Poor baby, maybe it ate something while free-ranging that didn't sit right?
As for how she is acting like being scared of you that is pretty typical, a member on here called it the axe murderer syndrome when they go through this stage just knowing we're going to eat them. But the other actions don't appear normal. It is extrememly hot could that have something to do with it? No wounds or injuries? Eating good, poops look normal?

Poor baby, maybe it ate something while free-ranging that didn't sit right?
As for how she is acting like being scared of you that is pretty typical, a member on here called it the axe murderer syndrome when they go through this stage just knowing we're going to eat them. But the other actions don't appear normal. It is extrememly hot could that have something to do with it? No wounds or injuries? Eating good, poops look normal?
It's been eating, drinking well, poop looks same as before, it will come to the food as soon as I step away. I sprayed the porch and sidewalk and once I was done it did play in the puddle that was made. It has been really hot, i think heat index today is 100, which is one reason I'm letting them free range for longer periods so they have a larger shade area. Hopefully once it rains tomorrow and cools off it will help.

When you say free range what do you mean? they would make a nice snack for many predators as they as so young. Hopefully that is what it is going through axe murder syndrome and the heat. Please keep us updated,

When you say free range what do you mean? they would make a nice snack for many predators as they as so young. Hopefully that is what it is going through axe murder syndrome and the heat. Please keep us updated,
I let them out during the day when I'm home and can watch them, they stay in my front yard with my german shepherd, shes really territorial and wont let anything in our yard, shes great with them. She cuddles with them (she gets tore up if I pick one up and it starts peeping and she will herd them if they start wondering to far away) Tonight the duck did eat watermelon from my hand and didnt act as scared when I put them to bed, hopefully it was the heat. I keep reassuring them I'm not going to butcher and eat them, I just want them to be my friends lol

I feel like if they are comfortable eating from my hand that is a great accomplishment. Some of mine will some won't but that's okay.
That's awesome they have such a good bodyguard.
Hopefully the heat was bothering your little one and nothing else.
thanks for updating.

I feel like if they are comfortable eating from my hand that is a great accomplishment. Some of mine will some won't but that's okay.
thanks for updati

thanks for updating.

thank you! I've never had ducks, or any thing other than the "normal" house pet. I worry about them I do love my dog, shes the best duck mommy ever!

Back
Top Bottom