Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I also set late, so mine aren't even due until tomorrow.

No pips when I checked yet this morning, which is good because I have to transport them back to school today. I'd hoped to meet up with the director and put them back at the school for lockdown, but instead, I'm having to transport them during lockdown.

I'd love to get your opinions on the best way to do this. Incubator is a Brinsea Mini Advance. No pips as of yet, and I'll leave within 1.5 hours. Drive to school is about 10-15 minutes.

Option 1- just bring them in the incubator. Wrap incubator in a blanket, and hope the eggs don't roll around in there too much.

Option 2- Put eggs in a carton, wrap carton in blanket, then drive to school. They won't get jostled as much, but they will be out of the incubator for 15-20 minutes.

What would you do?

When I was hatching at school and took the eggs back and forth for long weekends, I kept them in the incubator (I didn't have a turner - we turned by hand). I had an old quilt or dish towels and packed the cloth around the eggs so they wouldn't roll into each other. It probably helped maintain temperature, too, although that was not my main concern. My commute was 50 minutes. When I could, I recruited a reliable fourth grader (with reliable parent) to be the egg sitter on the weekends. Then, there were those times when they didn't get turned on the weekends. I always had a hatch, enough for all children to adopt a chick or two (and name them) until the end of the school year. I hope your hatch goes well!

I have done a Dry hatch twice now and both have had a much better hatch rate then previous hatches using the other method, It really depends on your incubator, I have a little giant foam incubator, I left both holes unplugged with a weather station reading the outside and inside temperatures in my room not the incubator, as long as the humidity in the room is between 20-30% I don't need to do much because I have learned with this incubator that the room temp and humidity affect it a lot. I always have my kids cool mist humidifier in the room just incase the humidity is not to my liking. Even for a Dry hatch the humidity has to be between 20-30% for the first 18 days then 60% for the rest. This hatch I added a little water to the bottom of the bator on day 18 for lockdown because i do not have a humidity reader with a probe so I honestly had no idea the actual humidity in the incubator at hatch. I really need to get me one and maybe i would have a better hatch rate, I had a 75% hatch rate this time :/. Last time i added one teaspoon of water to the bator at the very beginning and left it at that for the rest of the hatch, I still got a 75% hatch rate, I am still working on getting better percentage. I have had a horrible hatch and it wasn't my first time either, I lost all but 2 chicks and thats when i decided to try dry. each incubator have different methods that work better for them, and each person has a different incubator that works for them its a matter of trial and error and learning from it.
I am sorry for those who had bad hatches and experiences with this particular hatch and happy for those that had great hatches. All of us can learn from this and get advice and ideas from others about there hatches to hopefully get a better hatch next time.

When I was hatching at school and took the eggs back and forth for long weekends, I kept them in the incubator (I didn't have a turner - we turned by hand). I had an old quilt or dish towels and packed the cloth around the eggs so they wouldn't roll into each other. It probably helped maintain temperature, too, although that was not my main concern. My commute was 50 minutes. When I could, I recruited a reliable fourth grader (with reliable parent) to be the egg sitter on the weekends. Then, there were those times when they didn't get turned on the weekends. I always had a hatch, enough for all children to adopt a chick or two (and name them) until the end of the school year. I hope your hatch goes well!

Thanks so much for your input and happy ending story!

That's more or less what I did- I used a couple washclothes to keep everything in place. Incubator was unplugged a total of 15 minutes, and temperature was 95 when I plugged it back in.

No pips yet though. And no internet at school, so I can't set up a webcam. So I don't get to peek whenever I want. Not fair!

Last edited:
I have pips! Don't give up hope folks. In my problem bator I have 2 pips and a bunch of rocking eggs. I've given up all hope for the quail eggs but the rest are local eggs and a couple of the shipped eggs. But the shipped eggs look like they're doing nothing. I'm soooooo excited for more babies!!! yay!

I gotta definitely put the serama with a buddy, she won't shut up. For such a tiny little baby she sure makes a big noise. I just love her so much. I don't know why but I do.

Here is a link to a thermometer hygrometer that is fairly accurate. The temp is very closet to the Brinsea spot check.

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-i.../incubator-remote-thermometer-hygrometer.html

Ron

Edited to add: The probe is small so should fit in the tight space.

Sounds good will check it out. I have a timex and it is very big. It has to sit in to the bator. I hang it by its temp prob but there isn't enough room in the Genesis because the opening in so low. I am checking it now with the salt to see how good it is. I checked it on top of the eggs just long enough to get the humidity and it seem according to it the Genesis is about 10 % low. I thought it was supposed to be good out of the box.......sigh

I have pips! Don't give up hope folks. In my problem bator I have 2 pips and a bunch of rocking eggs. I've given up all hope for the quail eggs but the rest are local eggs and a couple of the shipped eggs. But the shipped eggs look like they're doing nothing. I'm soooooo excited for more babies!!! yay!

I gotta definitely put the serama with a buddy, she won't shut up. For such a tiny little baby she sure makes a big noise. I just love her so much. I don't know why but I do.

woot.gif

Sounds good will check it out. I have a timex and it is very big. It has to sit in to the bator. I hang it by its temp prob but there isn't enough room in the Genesis because the opening in so low. I am checking it now with the salt to see how good it is. I checked it on top of the eggs just long enough to get the humidity and it seem according to it the Genesis is about 10 % low. I thought it was supposed to be good out of the box.......sigh

I got a digital temp/hygrometer this past weekend at a pet store. I do not know the maker off hand (I am at work right now and can't check). It is for reptiles. I talked to one of the guys working at the store and he said they are very reliable. I know the temperature sensor is accurate, I checked it against my Brinsea Spot Check. I think the hygrometer is pretty accurate as well. The sensors are very small and are attached to the meter by very thin wires. I put the sensors in my styrobator (I am doing the turkey hatch now) and ran the wires out the same hole that the power cord for the auto turner runs out. They don't interfere with the cover closing tighly this way. So far I have been happy with the set up and it cost about $30. Just another suggestion. If you want the maker, let me know and I will post it in another response.

Back
Top Bottom