Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I have a PIP!!!! So incredibly excited!
yesss.gif

....and here I thought that MN would make me take up the rear on this hatch... :)

I want to start by saying that none of my Day-19-set-on-Saturday-the-17th eggs have pipped or done anything yet. They are just normal, Day 19 eggs.
big_smile.png
After pulling the clears and quitters, that group is down to 8 eggs: 3 Blue Birchen Marans, 2 Brown Leghorns, and 3 more mutts from my flock.

I locked down 21 eggs on Monday: 12 Basques and some mutts from my own flock and the swap on Monday. They started pipping last night! So far, 5 swap/my flock chicks are out and so are 7 Basques! Two Basques had a tough time hatching and required some help. They had some of the strangest air cells after shipping, but seem to be doing alright. One of those might have a crooked toe, but I'm going to give him some time before making that determination and making him a little boot. One more Basque and one more mutt are pipped, leaving 4 Basques, 1 EE/SS cross, 2 swap mutts, and 1 Dutch Bantam, the only surviving egg from that shipped package, so I don't have high hopes.

It's a bit stressful, but mostly very exciting!!! I noticed I am much more laid back - but having just as much fun - compared to last year when I was hatching for the first couple of times.

I love seeing my sweet little fuffy pancakes peeking out from under the EcoGlow! I didn't remember that any of my swap eggs would be wheaten, so I have one little chick who is masquerading as a Basque but is really a Marans mix! I think I know who, but I'll have to wait until they come out from under the EcoGlow to be sure.

The EOs are awfully cute so far. I can't wait to know them better, and I have 7 and counting!

What I woke to this morning: (blondie is a Basque and chipmunk is Speckled Sussex)

There are 11 under the brooder, 1 drying off in the incubator, and 2 current pips:

My little mystery chick is now in the brooder. Currently I have 3 more pips... an olive egg, another mystery brown egg and a Gold laced Polish all from mrheinz77. Nada from my BLRW eggs yet.

I'm hoping to have my bators cleaned up and stored until December by Sunday evening....

I don't know why I keep the hovabator... but hey, I hatched a few chicks out of it! (14 so far!)

Okay!!!!!!!!!

Got home at 1700, first stop, incubator, atleast 8 pips that I can see without opening the door.

I can hear chirping, and I can see some rocking going on.

These BSL eggs were bred right here on the place. Cross between some fine RIR roosters and some hatchery BR hens.

I am very excited by my successful hatch. Going to raise a few of these hens out just to see how they produce.
Sounds like a fun project!!

Oh, and I may have ordered some German New Hampshires to set early next week.
hide.gif

(I am so excited!!!
celebrate.gif
)

I've been wondering what is similar or different between the German NH and reg NH.. Very curious.

Quote:
I need some coffee!!

Back
Top Bottom