Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Hint ## This is a controversial hint, as many of my opinions may be:

I believe it is beneficial to open the incubator for a few minutes daily. I like to mimic the natural conditions of a hen's care, and she gets up to walk around, eat, drink, poo, etc., for about a half-hour daily- sometimes twice.

This gives me time to turn (if need be), smell, and candle my eggs if I like. I just open it for a few minutes if I'm not intending to handle them. I do this most days until 'confinement.' Some will be aghast and argue this is insane behavior...but I'm just sharing what works for me.

Brinsea's Contaq ZQ million dollar (I exaggerate) incubator has something like this. Programmable Periodic Cooling. Maybe someone already mentioned this but I haven't had time to catch up yet.

It works for you because it mimics nature which has a great track record.
thumbsup.gif

This is a great secret to share. Thanks.

I have a tip that I don't think very many of us think about......... WORMING OUR BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!! MY hens had worms and the egg production dropped like nothing I had seen before. I then found out that they had worms
barnie.gif
So I was looking around for a wormer I can use that was safe for eggs and the meat birds, most of what I could find......... YOU CAN NOT EAT THE EGGS FOR 30 DAYS, oh and here is the kicker........ YOU NEED TO WORM EVERY 30 DAYS oh and you can't hatch the eggs too.
smack.gif
so what to do????? well I found two wormers that was safe to use all the time. but the first one you have to do everyday for 90 days then you may do it for 3 days out of the month.
th.gif
the 2nd one is the one I use, it's called verm-x and it's so very good!!!!!!!! my eggs are coming back now and this was just the first time I did it!!!!!!!!!! I am geting more this week!!!!!!!! verm-x is THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! SO MY TIP IS WORMING OUR BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif

So my fiance and I are having so much fun building incubators for people. We built our own two months ago and have had a 80-95% hatch rate depending on the breed (some of our flocks are pullets so lower fertility rate). We are considering doing this on a larger scale. How many of you would like to purchase something like this in the future? What would you be willing to pay? Sorry to use you all as my market demographics guinea pigs :) or guinea chicks :)

It features include:
  • 3 x "Slide Out" Egg Trays (123 Eggs on rotators)
  • Completely insulated
  • Viewing window in front with custom etched design
  • Shelf for humidity trays
  • 3 fans for circulation
  • All wiring
  • Solid wood
  • Stain to match in your choice of wood stain color
  • Digital Thermostat with Prob
  • Light to signal when heat source is on
  • Heavy duty clasps
  • Heavy duty ball bearing roll out racks

Pic below is of unit without a lid so you can see the "guts". Both left and right side will have wood panels also stained to match the lid and front.

Last edited:
When we move our eggs to the hatcher, we put them in egg cartons with the top cut off and just use the egg holding part...has helped alot with hatch rates....
thumbsup.gif

Go to the Georgia thread and tell them there.... and tell them to come here!!!

Last edited:
It looks like I will have pure Marans eggs ready for my incubator for the Easter Hatch.

I've been working on making the breeding pens for my buff orpingtons and EE x AMeraucana's. If those are not ready in time I still have my barnyard blend of RIR, BR, Austrlorp and the like.

jumpy.gif

It looks like I will have pure Marans eggs ready for my incubator for the Easter Hatch.

I've been working on making the breeding pens for my buff orpingtons and EE x AMeraucana's. If those are not ready in time I still have my barnyard blend of RIR, BR, Austrlorp and the like.

jumpy.gif

AWESOME!!
thumbsup.gif

Hint ## This is a controversial hint, as many of my opinions may be:

I believe it is beneficial to open the incubator for a few minutes daily. I like to mimic the natural conditions of a hen's care, and she gets up to walk around, eat, drink, poo, etc., for about a half-hour daily- sometimes twice.

This gives me time to turn (if need be), smell, and candle my eggs if I like. I just open it for a few minutes if I'm not intending to handle them. I do this most days until 'confinement.' Some will be aghast and argue this is insane behavior...but I'm just sharing what works for me.
As a dedicated candle-addict, I too open the bator daily. Not because of science but because I'm nosey. Sometimes I candle, sometimes I add water, or rearrange the thermometers to check different areas. However, I generally run an 85 - 99% hatch rate on non-shipped eggs, so I don't think it is effecting my hatches adversely. I did consider the hens methods when I was justifying my insanity :D

Back
Top Bottom