Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

At least four pips (haven't checked in the past few hours) and lots of peeping! I'm amazed two of them are even still alive... they were kicked out of the nest when I checked this morning and almost completely cold
hmm.png

So my neighbor came over earlier with her two little boys and I made the mistake of telling them we have chicks hatching
lol.png
They were pretty much freaking out about it and the kids kept asking if they could check on the eggs, like, every few minutes! They didn't believe me when I told them nothing would have changed
roll.png
They finally settled on coming back tomorrow, so I'm hoping for babies by then for thier sake as well as mine lol! I can just imagine them showing up at 6:30 in the morning begging to see the chicks
roll.png

Congratulations to those with pips, zips, and chicks hatched. I was about to announce I have no activity here, but three S. Ameraucanas have just pipped.

This feels... suspiciously just like being about 39 weeks pregnant :) Not quite "due" but IT COULD TOTALLY HAPPEN! (Having gone into labor before 39 weeks, between 39-40 weeks, and most recently 41 weeks on the nose.. I'm an expert at obsessing over labor signs!)
THis is far worse than 39 weeks preg!!!

From what I read, think it was Wikipedia - After WWII, there were almost no chickens left in Germany because they were all eaten in desperation. The US sent over a bunch of great chickens to help out - including New Hampshires. The Germans did a fantastic job with them while ours went downhill because of our focus on production birds, hybrids, etc. Then, the German strain was reimported and maintained/improved by awesome American breeders such as *Kathyinmo*. Thus, the German New Hampshires are awesome and I want some.
big_smile.png

I found a page with a bunch of smilies HERE.
I found a Mahonri there, too..........

gig.gif
PERFECT !

Oh. And to make this better. I'm waiting for the phone call saying my chicks have arrived at the post office!! Such a chick filled day
smile.png

LOL..I got that call, did you? This will be my last call until fall. No more after these last three different ones I have in.

My total is horrible. I feel horrible. I haven't had this bad a hatch for a very long time. Oh, there was one, where I didn't get any, but there were only 6 eggs, not 20!

5 Araucanas

1 Wheaten Ameraucana...............REALLY?

I'm not feeling too great right now. At least I am getting some Exchequers to hatch, may get the whole 5 that went into lock down...with...all the others!
sad.png

So many dead babies in eggs, haven't seen that before. I finally got my first stinky bomb egg. Now that was an experience. I can now say I can relate when someone shares that sweet moment.

Good luck everyone..will get pictures up when they are fluffed. For some reason, they are sticky, and there was this gooy stuff in the eggs. I'm surprised any hatched. The one Ameraucana that was zipping, stopped, died. Gooy stuff in there..it drowned. My humidity was only up to 66 at the highest.
idunno.gif
This is just too sad. All those babies making it that far, just to die. One of the Araucanas had a missing eye. One had a crossed beak, but not that bad. I knew they were hard to hatch, but goodness.

I found a page with a bunch of smilies HERE.
I found a Mahonri there, too..........

Ok, went back to where I was when I posted, and this perked me up..I smiled for the first time in a while today. Cute Kathy Oh, and we have a son that is going in to get his wisdom teeth taken out next week..he is sooo nervous. Won't show him this..the little guy there seems to be wide awake! lol...

Last edited:
Thank everyone so much for all the birthday wishes and congrats on my exam! It is much appreciated! This is such a great community, everyone is so awesome on here. Thanks again!
big_smile.png
Good luck to everybody on your pipping chicks or shipped chicks (
gig.gif
)! I'm off to bed
smile.png

Oh My Gosh! Really! Really? I have had the muscovies in there for 18 days now so I don't have to turn them?!?!
celebrate.gif

That would be great! I did move the silkies going into lockdown in with the Muscovies. If I don't have to turn them that would be AWESOME!!! I have been setting my alarm for 12 midnight for a turn then at 7:30 am I turn them before work. Then as soon as I get home around 5 or 5:30 they get turned again. I know it's a long stretch during the day but that was the best I could do.

No pips yet but I had to set mine a day later than yall. My eggs arrived on Saturday at the post office and I wanted them to rest 24 hours before they set. Come on little silkies, Hatch, Hatch, Hatch.

How many days are they? According to Gail Damerow (Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens) you can safely stop turning after the first 14 days so they may be fine if they are at least that far along.

Happy Birthday and congrats on that great test score!

Back
Top Bottom