Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I'll post a pic of my chicks tomorrow. I didn't have the chance to do it today with being sick and helping dad finish plowing the garden.

Yaay, waiting...
pop.gif

I filled out the form: 20 of 49.

My late-hatching Basque is still hanging on, but I am not confident that he'll make it. He had started to fluff this morning, and could move a few steps, but was still exhausted and a little damp-looking, so I left him in the incubator this morning.

This afternoon, I decided to try putting him in the brooder. When I opened the incubator, I was horrified to see that is was growing all kinds of mold. Not sure if that will kill the chick, but at least he is out of there now.

In the brooder, he was totally overwhelmed by the other stampeding chicks, so I sectioned off a little separate area for him. He has a whole Eco-glow to himself, while the other 19 share the other.

He was making the loud chirping distress call, which I have found to be symptomatic of a dying chick, but then he settled down and is quiet. I figure that after a couple of days separate from the others, it will become clear whether he is going to sink or swim. Keeping my fingers crossed!

SunnyDawn, I was also thinking my elementary school might love the Brinsea mini!

Yea!!! Wonderful to see folks wanting to support their local schools!

I sure hope the little distressed chick makes it! Sounds like you are doing everything you can. C'mon little chicky!
fl.gif

Quote:
You are very welcome. Thank you to you and everyone else that have worked so hard on this whole hatch-a-thon!!!

Ok 2 chicks out...had to help the shrinkwrapped one some more. Its head couldn't zip more because a strip of membrane didn't get torn and dried across its head pinning it down. I removed it but the bottom was glued to the shell. Sticky Chick Syndrome is terrible. The one that is full of goo is being glued in. I got half the shell off and some membrane and suddenly it started bleeding again. It put it back in and its chirping loudly which is a good sign. If it survives I will have to soak it to get the rest of the shell off its like super glue. I really wanted that hovabator and now change my mind.

I had to put one of mine under warm running water to get it unstuck from the shell. It was the one that had pipped and I didn't know it until I opened the bator to check. Poor thing! It's hatchmates had no problems getting out of their shells. Anyway the little one is just fine now! Amazing considering how stuck it was and them my drowning it in running water (not literally, I didn't douse it's beak area). After getting it unstuck I put it back in the incubator to dry off. Now it is running around the brooder with it's buddies. I hope your little one makes it!
fl.gif

Tyler (27 yr old son that lives in our guest house) has always been a big baby. Always. So, when he moans and groans and complains about aches and pains, I rarely pay much attention. This morning he said he was up half the night with nausea and pain in the back (kidney area). 'Hmmm,' I thought.... Later, he ran some errands for me. Then, at about 4:30, he screamed through the intercom to me. "HELP ME! ! !" I went to check on him and he was very very pale, holding his side, and moaning in obviously tremendous pain. Taylor (his girlfriend) took him to the ER. He just got home. Kidney stone. Yowser! That's gonna hurt. They told him it was quite large and still pretty high up. It will be another day or so before he can pass it. THAT is gonna hurt.

Oh boy! DH winced when he read this over my shoulder. He went through the same thing some years back. I hope Tyler feels better soon! Poor guy.

O.k. So i edited my earlier post to add my cutest chick contest entry post #10495 hope someone sees it and adds it! :) didn't want to post again but i realized that my post was before entry # 8 and that it might not get see since i edited after they posted there entry!
duc.gif

Loving all the adorable pics and the funny video and jokes! DH keeps running over to ask why I'm smiling and to peek over my shoulder. I may make him a BYC convert after all.

Back
Top Bottom