Mail chicks round 2...

You’ll need to check the hatchery’s policy on dead chicks. Normally you need to notify them right away about any doa’s that weren’t “extras”
Example; you order 50 chicks, they sent 55. Upon pickup at the post office you open the box and see 7 doa. They will refund the two that aren’t considered extras because those are ones you paid for.
This is just from my understanding with the hatchery I order from. Any chicks that die after “X amount” of hours from pick up at post office the hatchery isn’t reliable for.

Sorry about your losses😓 It’s always so heartbreaking to lose little ones.

One thing I noticed about your setup is that you have them on pine shavings. Not saying that’s why they are dying, but it’s usually better to keep chicks/keets/poults on paper towels/puppy pads/shelf liner, ect. For the first couple weeks. Then offer grit before putting them on pine. New chicks peck at and eat everything, so they can get impacted from eating the shavings.

You’ll need to check the hatchery’s policy on dead chicks. Normally you need to notify them right away about any doa’s that weren’t “extras”
Example; you order 50 chicks, they sent 55. Upon pickup at the post office you open the box and see 7 doa. They will refund the two that aren’t considered extras because those are ones you paid for.
This is just from my understanding with the hatchery I order from. Any chicks that die after “X amount” of hours from pick up at post office the hatchery isn’t reliable for.

Sorry about your losses😓 It’s always so heartbreaking to lose little ones.

One thing I noticed about your setup is that you have them on pine shavings. Not saying that’s why they are dying, but it’s usually better to keep chicks/keets/poults on paper towels/puppy pads/shelf liner, ect. For the first couple weeks. Then offer grit before putting them on pine. New chicks peck at and eat everything, so they can get impacted from eating the shavings.
Ok, I didn’t realize that thanks! I’ve always put chicks on pine shavings and haven’t ever had a problem before. Also I think they only sent 2 extra, and I’m up to 12 dead now. Hoover’s policy is loss has to be reported in 48hrs. Already sent them a message yesterday when they started dying in the afternoon. It’s the weekend so I’ll talk with someone Monday. I was excited to try their Amberlink breed and I ordered 10, I’m down to 4 of them. Wish I could’ve needed up with more of them but not going to have them ship anymore. They came in pretty good time with shipping this round but obviously it was still just too long for them.

Last edited:
Hoovers is who supplies tractor supply their birds, which also die alot it seems. I ordered from meyer hatchery and it was eggs not live chicks but the way they handled my broken eggs issue with zero questions and gave me options as to how I wanted it handled ill definitely order from them again. I know everybody has good and bad experiences with these hatcheries but if hoover won't make it right or you want to try another hatchery meyer was nice to deal with.

Are you checking for pasty butt?
I also recommend water additive of chick vitamins and electrolyte to help chicks after a stressful shipping journey.
Hope you dont loose any more.
For 50 chicks, how big is your brooder?
Yes, haven’t seen any yet. I have “plain” water and a waterer with molasses, ACV, and garlic in the other so they access to both all the time. Brooder is a large stock tank.

Hoovers is who supplies tractor supply their birds, which also die alot it seems. I ordered from meyer hatchery and it was eggs not live chicks but the way they handled my broken eggs issue with zero questions and gave me options as to how I wanted it handled ill definitely order from them again. I know everybody has good and bad experiences with these hatcheries but if hoover won't make it right or you want to try another hatchery meyer was nice to deal with.
I was in a local TSC yesterday and they had chicks in five of their brooders and it looked like they had several that weren't long for this world. Their ducks in another brooder looked fine though. Going to raise my own this year and not order through the mail given the ongoing postal service issues.

I was in a local TSC yesterday and they had chicks in five of their brooders and it looked like they had several that weren't long for this world. Their ducks in another brooder looked fine though. Going to raise my own this year and not order through the mail given the ongoing postal service issues.
I tried mail order eggs this year, last time was years ago none hatched they were from ebay. These came from meyer I gotta say I'm very happy right now. I've got 14 chicks from 16 eggs that made lockdown. Have you tried mail order eggs?

I tried mail order eggs this year, last time was years ago none hatched they were from ebay. These came from meyer I gotta say I'm very happy right now. I've got 14 chicks from 16 eggs that made lockdown. Have you tried mail order eggs?
Never ordered hatching eggs through the mail. But I have plenty from my 35 large breed and bantam hens. I have been known to get a few extra chicks at TSC every year... just ask my wife.

Back
Top Bottom