mail order chickens???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by soimcrazy, May 10, 2007.

1. soimcrazy

soimcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Dinwiddie Virginia
    A previous neighbor had chickens and told me he bought them through mail order, which seemed a lil strange. Who sells mail order chickens?

2. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ideal hatchery, Cackle hatchery, McMurray hatchery, Mypetchicken.com, theres alot more....but check these out first. [​IMG]

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Large hatcheries and some private sellers. Do a search of the board. McMurray, Privett, Meyer, Moyer, Ideal, Welp.....

4. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Apparently my grandmother told me that her mother used to get chicks mail order. Have they really been shipping chicks for that long?!?!?

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
  6. chknman79

chknman79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Which of the hatcheries have yall had the best luck with? I am considering "expanding" [​IMG] my flock next spring and just wondered which is the best to go with.

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I've used Ideal with no problems and have been happy with their service and they are really polite. I'm sure everyone has either had a positive or negative experience with just about every local and national hatchery. Whether they are family owned or operated or if they actually brood and hatch the chicks there, or bring them in from local breeders everyone has their own opinion. You will just have to start calling around and speak to the different companies to decide which one is right for you.

I can tell you that Stromburgs and Murry McMurry are middle men so to speak and do not hatch the chicks on the property. They get them from local breeders. That is not saying anything bad about them. Some places breed them on site and some do not. These are just the ones that I personally am aware of. Best of luck to you on your decision and let us know how it goes for you.

8. soimcrazy

soimcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Dinwiddie Virginia
    any other mail order places to mention?

anyone have any problems with any of them, or have any recommendations?

I'm about to place an order for some chicks but will still have my eye out for some older hens locally.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wintertime or not, order from the most reputable hatchery that is closest to you. Less travel time is less stressful on the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by