1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mailing hatching eggs during the winter?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Orange Ribbon, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I see there are still plenty of auctions for eggs going on, and just wondered how cold is too cold to be sending hatching eggs in the mail? My speckled Sussex should begin laying soon, and I would sell some eggs, but don't want to if it will ruin them. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I should have some eggs coming from New Orleans (to NC) tomorrow so we will see how shipping in the winter does!

Happy-Hens

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Alot of people send heat packs with their eggs. I ordered some in the middle of winter last year and paid for the heat pack. The seller forgot it and refunded my money, but although my eggs were cold, they were fine when I incubated.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. That is good to know about the heat pack. I never thought about that. [​IMG]

5. JazminesZoo

JazminesZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    I just got 290 eggs from Texas to Washington State.... TODAY
    So I will know soon [​IMG]
    But I am Soooooo newbie...

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    As long as they don't freeze and crack, they should be ok. Some folks hatch refrigerated eggs!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    When shipping eggs in cold times, I always let my customer know about the risks and keep attention on how the weather looks between us when the eggs are being shipped. It almost never gets cold here, so I'm used to just simply lots of rain, however the way there or the destination may be very cold.

Insulating the eggs with extra padding can help.

Choosing a decent week can help, and let your customer know the risks of the weather between you and them.

As long as the temps the eggs are exposed to don't fall below 39 degrees, they should be relatively fine.

Most of the time eggs in the winter make it through pretty well. Usually sales drop because of two main reasons - 1) lack of production and 2) lack of want to hatch them at this time. There's so much more involved in raising the chicks and also in making sure the eggs have a safe incubation. You're already using more of your electric bill in the winter, so, eggs then chicks. . . Even more [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by