Maine calling...

Forest_Nymph

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Maine
I live in southern Maine. This is the only site that I know of where I can get my chicken talk out of my system!!! LOL I would love to hear from other Mainers who would share their love of chickens and ducks! If anyone nearby is in Maine or New Hampshire, I'd love to locate call ducks and other hard to find breeds of backyard birds. I want to limit my flock size to less than a dozen so it is difficult to order a small flock without being over stocked. Our local feed stores only order egg and meat birds. Lets get into contact !

Sylvia
(grandma of 5)

Hi, Forest_Nymph and welcome to the site!
I don't live in Maine. but I spend at least one week a month there from April thru October in Scarborough. We own a little shoebox cottage near Pine Point.
cool.png

Whereabouts are you?

Last edited:
Thank you, Mudhen!

This is a great site, huh!! Welcome to Maine this summer. I live just "up the road" from Freeport, so to speak. LOL

I don't visit much south of Portland. (Gets very crowded in the summer) The rest of the state is my playground. You must love the ocean ! So many tourists visit annually and spend a lot of time around the ocean. I was born in Saco and have lived all over the state in my lifetime. We'll retire down east near the eastern-most city of the US.

I hope you enjoy your visit this year. What kind of birds do you keep? Chickens, ducks? etc
So few people from the northeast are on this site, so I have a hard time relating to care and breeding of the more exotic of chickens and ducks in this climatic region. I can only dream that I'll stumble across someone who wants to sell their silkies, frizzles, or call ducks...

yours truly,

Sylvia

THis site rocks!

About Maine,
You're right about it getting crowded in the summer!
I just fell in love with the area, (and yes, love the beach) on my first visit about six years ago. Hubby and I have been going back for vacations every summer since. Three years ago, bought the shoebox and try to spend as much time there as possible when its open (mid-April - mid-Oct).
We hope to retire to Maine (still a few years down the road tho...).

Nothing exotic here, I have one Wellsumner adult hen, and twety-five chicks:
5 Barred Rock (one not doing well -splayed legs or ?
sad.png
)
5 Buff Orp
5 Black Australorp
5 Araucana
5 Partrige Rock
but I'm only going to be keeping six of them, the rest are giveaways.

No ducks, I'm breaking subdivision rules with chickens anyway. I've got just under 6 acres, a four stall barn I've turned into my studio (I'm a full-time potter), and I'm zoned for horses, but haven't had the time to set up for them yet. If I ever do, it would be for rescues only.

Also have four indoor cats (two pairs of sibling - rescues) and three dogs, an aussie, corgi, and borderline collie (border collie mix
lol.png
)

What's in your flock now?

Got ya a Mainah right here. haha I'm from Maine as well Forest_Nymph, I live in the central maine area (waterville) and yeah this site does rock. Have chickens at the school I work at and am trying to convince the wife to get some for the house. She has a opposition to them, from a childhood experience, but I think she'll eventually fold.

Hello handsomebuff and wife!

I'm just a 45 minute drive south of you in Bowdoinham. Hope your wife comes around... You just got to get her used to a gentle hen somewhere or have her handle some cute chicks this spring .
I've got a few white silkies that I just bought and I adore their actions. I'm in the process of getting them handled and easier for the grandkids to warm up to and cuddle!

Hopefully, in the future when these silkies come of age, I will be breeding them and have a lot more to raise!

Welcome to "bawkloud"chickens. hehe

Sylvia

I'm from Maine! Just found the site. I'm in Hampden. Now if only I could find some chicks!!
smile.png
Blue Seal in Bangor won't be getting them until May! I may just have to wait...big sigh.

Hey jag I live in Windham Maine. There's a Blue Seel in 43 Main St, Windham, ME 04062 and there getting there first orders I think on April 24. So if you could make the trip there you could get them earlier.

Last edited:
Forest_Nymph - you are not alone!! - I live south of you in Berwick ME and have a cottage on Cresent Lake in Raymond ME - right next to chickenboy's run
- do not have any ducks but have one week old RIR's, barred rocks, white rocks, and one Phoenix

Back
Top Bottom