Maine- How do I go about testing my flock for NPIP?

mysweetgypsy

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I'm from Maine so I'm hoping someone from around here will see this:) I just started keeping chickens again and wasn't sure about the NPIP test. Should I have it done? If so how do I go about doing such a thing? I will have 12 or less, only one rooster, no showing just eggs and pets. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have not personally done this but I found this stuff for you.

Dr. Donald E. Hoenig, State Veterinarian, Maine Department of Agriculture, 28 State House Station,
Augusta 04333-0028. Phone: (207)287-3701, FAX: (207)624-5044.
E-mail: [email protected]

Also, I'm pretty sure from all I have read that if you are just keeping them for pets and a small flock for you, you do not have to do this. It is for commercial and show as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Thanks! I wasn't sure about testing. It sounds like a good idea, but if it's $$$, and not required I may skip it. I had read another post where a person had to cull half thier flock because they tested positive! It got me thinking. Thanks for all the info:)

Don't get me wrong here, I am an animal lover and raised on a dairy farm, but sometimes you have to ask yourself is it worth it. I have 5 RIR's. I will do everything I can within reason to protect them and keep them healthy and I will not and can not slaughter them. But I will not be paying a vet any large amounts of money or the state for that matter for my chickens. If they get sick, they get sick. I know it sounds mean but as many here say, at least they lived a good life before they bought it. It's only 5 hens, I can always buy and raise more.

If you aren't selling any birds, eggs for hatching or showing I wouldn't bother...just my 2cents...this is my third summer with chickens and I am not NPIP...still not sure if I am going to do it..

You really only need to be NPIP if you show birds or if you sell and ship hatching eggs, chicks or adult birds outside of the state. Being part of the National Poultry Improvement Plan is optional.

Back
Top Bottom