Maine

Hi and Welcome! I also live right outside of Augusta ( Farmingdale). You could possibly check Annabessacook vet in Monmouth, I know they deal with "farm animals" so there might be a chance they do chickens too. I've also contacted the cooperative extension and found them helpful, and also, this website has been majorly helpful! Being willing to do a little "vet" work yourself will be very helpful!

Oh I dont mind playing vet myself as long as i know I wont do any harm. and from some of the things that people do for birds is WAY different from the normal cat and dog things I am familiar with LOL

If you ever have a problem just ask on here and most time people will be happy to help and give suggestions. I for one will not use a vet for a chicken unless that bird cost me big bucks, which i know some pay. I will do my research and treat accordingly. If I have to cull then so be it but I try everything I can before doing so.

HI JustPJ,
I would try Annabessacook.
http://www.annabessacookvet.com/
They are in Monmouth.
Most all large animal vets I have had have treated any type of livestock when they are here.
You can get really good help and advice here on this forum, there are experienced people that are always willing to share their knowledge.

Speaking of chicken problems... I just read that article on vent gleet. (YUCK!) Now, I have a hen with a messy looking backside, but I've always assumed it was because she has SO much fluff back there. Can they be messy without actually being sick? I haven't examined her vent, rooster is being testy today so I don't want to provoke him - she's his favorite.

Speaking of chicken problems... I just read that article on vent gleet. (YUCK!) Now, I have a hen with a messy looking backside, but I've always assumed it was because she has SO much fluff back there. Can they be messy without actually being sick? I haven't examined her vent, rooster is being testy today so I don't want to provoke him - she's his favorite.
So glad you brought this up, I would love some input on this topic. I have one EE that has had this since I got her about 6 mo ago... I like yourself just thought it was a "messy butt" hen. I have no clue how I would do the treatment suggested though cause she was given to me at 2 or 3 yrs old, they weren't sure on age at all, and is NOT a hen that likes to be handled..... I do not want any secondary infections though and I have some chicks that will be going out there in a few weeks with weaker immune systems.... sigh. A chicken Mama's work is never done it seems :/

trim up her butt, either pluck or use scissors, or wash her butt. you might notice a difference because, yea, some chickens have fluffy butts and need a little help back there.

So glad you brought this up, I would love some input on this topic. I have one EE that has had this since I got her about 6 mo ago... I like yourself just thought it was a "messy butt" hen. I have no clue how I would do the treatment suggested though cause she was given to me at 2 or 3 yrs old, they weren't sure on age at all, and is NOT a hen that likes to be handled..... I do not want any secondary infections though and I have some chicks that will be going out there in a few weeks with weaker immune systems.... sigh. A chicken Mama's work is never done it seems :/

Anyone interested in a Nubian wether? His friend died tonight unexpectedly. He's a little over a year old. Very friendly and well mannered. Very loud.

You know ... you might be ready for another goat at some point.
hugs.gif

It would be wise for folks to not buy from NH for a long while.

Coopchick, your dark roo looks, in the picture, like he might be a dark blue. His feathers look laced with a darker color and I see a stray light grey feather. I have a blue laced mixed hen who is the product of a blue laced red Wyandotte roo over a black Cochin hen, so mixes can be blue if the "blue "dilution gene is carried by one of the parents.

Ash, are your beautiful geese with the orange beaks and blue eyes laying? How big do they get? Will you be hatching goslings?

The 9 day old blue and splash mixed chicks are so active, they keep jumping on the back of the paint Silkie broody's back (she responds with shock and indignation and shakes them off.)
Its wicked cute, as is the sweet twittering they frequently do (its not that noisy call chicks make when distressed, but a happy, melodious soft song.) I've raised chicks in a brooder and this is a different sound, guessing it is because they are with the broody and feel safe and happy. It has been decades since I had chicks under a broody.

Back
Top Bottom