Maintaining a breeding farm for a living?

Making a good living from a hobby farm is doable.

• Doable

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Not doable

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

redrooster99

Songster
9 Years
Jun 14, 2013
georgia
I know there is people out there who make their living off of their farm. I’ve always wanted to be able to make my living with my birds, other animals, and forms of hobby farming. I would like to know any tips and tricks y’all might have for doing this successfully. I know it will take time to get my name out there, and form a good reputation. I have started my farm back up again after being an over the road truck driver for 2 years. I want to do it right this time. I currently have some very good quality barred Plymouth rocks, Rhode Island reds, and a pair of New Hampshires. I have plans to acquire a few more breeds of chickens that I am fond of, as well as coturnix quail, turkeys, and rabbits. I have also thought of making soap, selling meat, and selling some produce locally. I am npip certified. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I could do to make a living from what I love the most, or some tricks of how to be successful in this endeavor?

I know there is people out there who make their living off of their farm...
Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I could do to make a living from what I love the most, or some tricks of how to be successful in this endeavor?
Are you sure they do?

Nearly every farm has someone working off the farm to make ends meet. Or lives off nonfarm income (like savings, investments, retirement income generated off the farm or grants or subsidies.) Or makes their living from agritourism. Or writing/youtubing about it.

Joel Salatin farms but he makes his living from his books, magazines, workshops, and such.

My family was one of the 3% of the population who were farmers. It is less than 1% now. And that counts farms with at least one of them working off the farm.

The rest of my siblings tried to make makes their livings from farming. Or at least their careers to go along with their spouse's non-farm careers. None of us think it can be done without the off farm income unless, maybe, one has picked his or her ancestors very well - starts out with the land (not too close to a city*), equipment, and would probably still need a developed niche market.

Having read decades of many farm magazines (including Salatin's Grazier magazine) and followed multiple forums such as this for various types of farming, and listened to my neighbors, friends, and siblings discussions... the best trick I know of is to not go into debt. Keep an off farm income until you have the set up fully paid for and markets developed.

*except, maybe, Seattle (or is it Portland?). That may be the exception that proves the rule. There are, or have been, some unusual zoning and demographics there that allowed a better than usual chance at some organic farming to do more than pay for itself.

Last edited:
I know there is people out there who make their living off of their farm. I’ve always wanted to be able to make my living with my birds, other animals, and forms of hobby farming. I would like to know any tips and tricks y’all might have for doing this successfully. I know it will take time to get my name out there, and form a good reputation. I have started my farm back up again after being an over the road truck driver for 2 years. I want to do it right this time. I currently have some very good quality barred Plymouth rocks, Rhode Island reds, and a pair of New Hampshires. I have plans to acquire a few more breeds of chickens that I am fond of, as well as coturnix quail, turkeys, and rabbits. I have also thought of making soap, selling meat, and selling some produce locally. I am npip certified. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I could do to make a living from what I love the most, or some tricks of how to be successful in this endeavor?
If you find out what type of insurance would cover this, I would like to know. I sell produce and some home goods at our local farmers market with Flip Insurance. But I have yet to find insurance for the sale of animals or hatching eggs. That's turned out to be harder than I expected.

If you find out what type of insurance would cover this, I would like to know. I sell produce and some home goods at our local farmers market with Flip Insurance. But I have yet to find insurance for the sale of animals or hatching eggs. That's turned out to be harder than I expected.
I am not sure you will find an insurance that covers animals or hatching eggs after they are sold. The best you can do is have your business set up as a LLC so any frivolous lawsuits can't harm you much.

I think it is almost impossible in this day and age of industrial agriculture without a secondary source of income. Goldshaw Farm has a video about how much they made last year. It’s pretty apparent why his wife is still working as a nurse lol. That said it can be a nice side hustle or with a ton of work one spouse’s income as long as the other person is working too (like Goldshaw).

I am not sure you will find an insurance that covers animals or hatching eggs after they are sold. The best you can do is have your business set up as a LLC so any frivolous lawsuits can't harm you much.
Thank you. That is probably what I will have to do. After several phone calls and research, nothing.

Back
Top Bottom