Major bullying problem! Need advice

4boyz

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
A couple months ago, we noticed that one of the chickens in our flock was never leaving the coop to go outside in the run and had feathers plucked out. Upon further experimentation and testing we realized that she was being bullied. Every time she went out into the run the other chickens attacked her until she ran back in.

Now, 2 months later, I've got 4 chickens that are in the coop that refuse to go out into the run, for the same reason. They are being plucked alive. I feel so bad for them.

I can't figure out how to stop this behavior. The run and coop are plenty big (I have 12 chickens)

I often toss in scratch and garden produce to keep them busy.

I can't figure out who the instigator is. Whenever I put one of the bullied chickens in the run, 3 or 4 of them come right up to her and start pecking her until she runs back in the coop.

Any advice that you have to stop this behavior would be greatly appreciated!

The chickens that are in the best feather condition are the trouble makers. Pinless Peepers can control this behavior and may even be removed after the bullied birds have regrown feathers and regained their confidence.

I've got a question about the pinless peepers. We have a bucket with water nipples on the underside that they have to peck at to get their water. Will they be able to see the water nipple and use it with the peepers on?

Back
Top Bottom