Major Clean-up

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mother of All, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I had to cull all of my Flock today for any of you that have not been following my problem I had a bad upper respiratory tract infection. OK The flock is gone and now the start of the cleaning. I went and got lime from the tractor supple store and going to but in through out my back yard both coops and both runs QUESTION will it harm my dogs, turkeys or grass seed I just put down?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I do not know the answer but I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] That is horrible. Sending lots of [​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I hear some people put it in their barns so I do not think it would hurt the other animals.
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I believe lots of lime can burn the skin, so be careful around your animals. It's an alkali, and alkalies behave like acids in a sense -- the closer to the ends of the scale you get, the rougher they are on your body.

Your grass seed may like it, depending on how "sweet" or acid your soil is and what its preference is. Farmers lime fields to get the acidity down.

5. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    sorry for you loss....[​IMG]

6. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to do the same thing a few weeks ago. I haven't had an issue with killing animals that needed it but since having to kill my whole flock (7birds) in one night I hve been a little squimish about it. It sucks I know. As far as lime I am using it too.

7. sawfish99

sawfish99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    North Stonington
    If you are referring to powdered/pulverized lime, then your animals are safe. In fact, it will likely help your grass seed. We use lime in the yard, horse stalls, etc all the time. It is safe for kids to get on their hands. If you are tossing it all over the inside of the coop, I would wear a respirator so you don't breathe the dust.

8. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Tractor Supply sells something called Sweet PDZ that I keep hearing good things about, for "sweetening" horse stalls but people are using it for chicken coops etc too. Frankly I'd try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by