Major flea problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by showbarnmom, Aug 11, 2013.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I was blaming the dog. We got bombarded inside with fleas over the last week. Gave the dog a bath, give her a flea treatment, and vacuumed the house using an abrasive agent in the carpet.

Yet she was still coming in fleas that I could see! Then we noticed when walking between the chickens coops, you'd come out with 20+ fleas on your legs. (The dog spends a lot of time around the coops.)

Today I spread out some Sevendust in the run and coops. Then spread some DE over that, as well as around the runs where we walk and the dog goes. I also left a big pile of DE hopefully for them to bathe in.

Unfortunately I can't use my misters now for a few days, now, because of the dust. But oh well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you have treated the area where you found the fleas in the yard, that will help. You will be ahead of the game by vacuuming regularly inside to stay after the fleas and eggs until this is over. Sevin Dust is a good control for fleas outdoors according to researchers at Texas A&M. If your dog has a bed, treating it with diatomaceous earth will help there.

We had a horrible year with fleas here in the Upstate of South Carolina. It has rained nearly everyday for the past 9 months. Only once we got a few dry days were we able to make any progress. I am so sympathetic to your problem.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by