Major mice issue

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
We had collected wood over the past couple of years for coops and fences and of course when the farmer moved down the soy beans the mice moved in. They were ALLL OVER that wood pile. We gave away a lot of the wood, just a little bit left that no craigslisters wanted. How can I kill the mice without harming my chickens. When we had a standard cochin roo he ate mice, so I don't want to do the bait that they eat and then die days later for risk my chickens will peck them. My chickens walk the dog yard that covers majority of the back yard. I've tried mothballs, no cigar. What can I do that is safe for our dogs, cats, pigeons, and chickens?

I'm not trying to be funny....

I use cats. Mine get along too well (the chickens peck them while they sleep in there) with chickens and will kill the mice and small snakes.

We tried cats. People come wailing around the corner of our streets or the fire trucks that are down the road come around the corner and sadly, I was using my shovel too often. We tried teaching them to stay in the backyard, but it never worked and we swore Steve is our last outdoor cat.

If the wood pile is small and you've used up and given away what you can.. Burn it during the day with your dogs cats and chickens out there with you. The mice will have no choice but to run. The other critters can catch them! Could be fun!! Other then that, I'm not sure what I would do besides get rid of the wood pile some other way..

We'll try getting rid of it. They aren't really housing in the wood. They dig holes under neath the feeders and wateres. Under nestboxes ANYTHING that touches the ground you can see a tunnel. We fixed the feeder issue with hanging feeders and trying to get hanging waterers. But we can't lift the 50-75 pound feed bins off the ground and they are burrowing under where the 4x4 foundation of our loft is. I am going to try locking the animals into their runs (not free ranging for a while) and put the reusable snap traps from d-CON out. We bought 3 of them. Hopefully it will work.
Quote:

If you just want them to stay away, plant peppermint all around the run,coop..wherever the mice are at. Mice and many insects dont like peppermint and will leave the area that it is in. From everything I've heard peppermint doesn't harm chickens at all and some will even peck at it. I live on a farm and use peppermint oil around the house and haven't seen an indoor mouse in years (outside is another story though so I know they are there). Peppermint is a very good plant to have but be careful where you plant it because it spreads like nothing you have seen before. Keep it in pots if you don't want it to spread over your yard.

I've never seen peppermint seeds. Where can I get them? Like are they common. The "chicken yard" is a 40x30 area that can be taken over by whatever plants I want. It has the chicken vegetable garden and some wheat growing from some scratch when we used tractors. I'll keep an eye out for it.

You can get the seeds at any local garden supply store, Lowes, or I think even walmart. They usually just say mint and you have to look at the smaller lettering to see that it says peppermint. They are very common to find in most places. If you can't find any where you live let me know. I have about half a packet left over from this years planting I can send to ya.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I know from back in the day
smile.png
when I worked at a garden center, peppermint was one of the plants we sold. I don't know about seeds (but I bet you could just order a pack from a seed website). Anyway, for some instant gratification, I'd check around with local nurseries and/or garden centers and they'd be able to tell you when they expect to have the plants available.

Back
Top Bottom