Major unexplained production drop in North Texas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KopyKat, Oct 21, 2016.

1. KopyKat

KopyKat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Round Rock, Texas
    I live just South of Dallas and have 60 plus layers that even in the heat of the summer I was getting 30-40 eggs a day. I had gotten a few weeks ago a drop to 3-4 eggs a day. A nearby farm had 60 layers getting 1-2 eggs a day for over two weeks. Another neighbor with 70 plus hens was in the same time period getting 5-6 a day down from 40 plus a day. This has been going on for over 7 weeks with my current production of 7 eggs a day and the neighbors have been suffering the same way. None of us have seen this happen before. Yes, we have all been through molts but nothing compared to this. Only about a fourth of my hens show they are molting and only a few are in a severe molt so I am sure it is not a molting problem. My neighbors agree and are equally puzzled. None of us has changed feed, water or any other thing. All of us free range our chickens.

Is it global warming? Did Trump insult my hens? Did Hillary not provide them healthcare? Perhaps I should make aluminum hats for them in case it is radio waves from outer space?

All kidding aside, this is a serious situation and we are at a loss to explain what is going on. Anyone that can give us a clue as to what is going on would be a great help. Have any of you experienced the same problem?

2. dana0710

dana0710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    We are having the same issue on a much smaller scale. We are in East Texas. I have three 2.5 year old hens that finished their molt a couple of weeks ago. They haven't layed an egg in months. I have 4 pullets and was getting two eggs a day from them and now nothing for the last week. Not one egg from 7 hens. I'm starting to wonder what is going on.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are your birds? This time of year, a drop in production is very normal for hens over 1 year old. Most stop laying altogether during their annual molt, and don't start laying again until spring is on the way. It's normal.
    Also, a few may be hiding eggs, since they are free range.

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I would consult my local Extension office. They may be able to tell you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by