Make them work for it.

Cookiee

Songster
Apr 22, 2022
England
Greetings folks,

My latest batch of coturnix are top class pigs, they are 11 days old and complete pigs they have gone through 2kg of crumb in a week ! My birds spread most of it on the floor as I don't have trough as I like to promote natural living. To cut a long story short I have decided seeing as they like scratching and spreading so much they can go and scratch and work for their food, and I know they have enough feed on the floor of the cage to last them a month. To get to my question is there any negatives to making them work for it? I figured if they want to spread it I can spread it for them and they can eat there feed slower. Any advice appreciated :he

What does your setup look like? Putting the food on the floor is very wasteful . Most of the food is going to be buried under whatever bedding you are using, be pooped on, and could potentially mold. This can make them sick. If you were to invest in some sort of feeder, you may find them going through a lot less feed.

What does your setup look like? Putting the food on the floor is very wasteful . Most of the food is going to be buried under whatever bedding you are using, be pooped on, and could potentially mold. This can make them sick. If you were to invest in some sort of feeder, you may find them going through a lot less feed.
Well the birds are 10 days old they are in the brooder, the brooder is 50inch (1270mm) 20 inch (508mm) I change the bedding daily as I am aware of mould etc and also the smell. I ordered a trough, but they still get in it and scrat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AI6JV46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wood chips
I use those too and my chicks even with my food in a feeder waste a lot of feed because it goes under the shavings they scratch and pack at the floor but never come close to getting most of it. I think you're going to waste a lot of feed this way

I use those too and my chicks even with my food in a feeder waste a lot of feed because it goes under the shavings they scratch and pack at the floor but never come close to getting most of it. I think you're going to waste a lot of feed this way
I think your right. Just so happens this batch are the most cool, I never realised quail could be so cool they have me wrapped around the 👍

Back
Top Bottom