Making a coop for hot summers?

jaybyrdsfarm

Songster
Apr 25, 2021
Apex NC
So I'm basically in Raleigh NC. Summers are hot humid and miserable some days.

My coop is in progress and i want to make sure I have enough ventilation.

I'm thinking of making the entire front wall or most of the front wall (that will face the dog kennel that is their run) out of hardware cloth for ventilation and a big window in the back (that could be closed in the winter). One side will be the door to access for cleaning and the other side will have nesting boxes. The two walls without windows will have vents across the top.

I wish I had my drawings with me but they are at work!

Does this sound like enough ventilation? I figure in the winter if it is too wet I can close windows and cover with tarps if I need to.

Thanks for the advice.

Jaybyrd

I did a 1 foot wide strip of HWC around the entirety of my coop and added an old box fan. It has worked well. The open air coops are appealing. I'm a little concerned that your winters are too cold for that. With proper wind breaks, I think it could still be done.

Since I haven't welcomed you----- :welcome Good luck and HAVE FUN!

I did a 1 foot wide strip of HWC around the entirety of my coop and added an old box fan. It has worked well. The open air coops are appealing. I'm a little concerned that your winters are too cold for that. With proper wind breaks, I think it could still be done.

Since I haven't welcomed you----- :welcome Good luck and HAVE FUN!
Thanks! I worry about the winters too but lately the summers have been brutal. Heat index of 100 plus. Coldest it tends to get in the winter is a little below freezing... i worry about the wet in winter. I figure I can always cover up ventilation spaces if I need rather then have to cut more later.

I'm in love with my little hens already!

I have 2' by 8' panel of hardware cloth for my window situated above my birds' roost. I never cover it, even in winter--it just has an awning to keep out the rain. They haven't gotten too hot but my coop is situated under a large shade tree. I think the most important thing is to make sure they have access to water when it's hot, as they are mainly in the coop at night when it should be a little cooler.

Thanks! I worry about the winters too but lately the summers have been brutal. Heat index of 100 plus. Coldest it tends to get in the winter is a little below freezing... i worry about the wet in winter. I figure I can always cover up ventilation spaces if I need rather then have to cut more later.

I'm in love with my little hens already!
I feel ya. Hot, humid and brutal. Proper ventilation is best to start with. No need to cover/uncover. Chickens can handle cold better than heat, but undue airflow in winter can,and will, lead to frostbite.

I have 2' by 8' panel of hardware cloth for my window situated above my birds' roost. I never cover it, even in winter--it just has an awning to keep out the rain. They haven't gotten too hot but my coop is situated under a large shade tree. I think the most important thing is to make sure they have access to water when it's hot, as they are mainly in the coop at night when it should be a little cooler.

The coop will be in the shade most of the summer... I'm building it under three or four big shade trees to her with the cold. Hadnt thought about putting an awning over the big window in the back! Thats a great idea! The side towards the north wind will be solid since it is the person door, hope that breaks the wind in the winter!

Jaybyrd

Welcome to BYC!

I'm an hour away in the Sandhills and you're right that you're going to need a LOT of ventilation. In fact, central NC is an excellent place for an Open Air coop, which is essentially a predator-hardened, roofed run with a 3-sided shelter at the windward end.

Chickens tolerate cold far better than they tolerate heat because they're wearing down parkas year-round. :)

This is my current coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/ It came through Hurricane Florence dry as a bone. If you don't want to go with the Open Air idea, a Monitor Roof is excellent for putting lots of draft-free ventilation where it's needed most -- at the top (heat and ammonia both rise).

This is my coop-in-progress, which my husband has dubbed The Chicken Palace: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

This is one of my main inspirations for the current build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

And this is what I did in my run to prep for winter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/winterizing-coop-and-pen-nc-sandhills-version.1431885/ As long as the chickens aren't in the wind there is no need to cover and uncover vents in our climate. Ventilation is just as important in the winter because frostbite is more likely when it's cold and humid than when it's cold and dry -- the vents let the humidity escape.

@3KillerBs is correct!

if wanting to add additional ventilation up high, there are turbine type roof vents you can add too. Some are powered, some are passive (and turn due to rising warm/hot air).

if it’s really wet there, extend the roof overhang where rain might blow in.

tarps can be ok, but in my experience, the noise that comes from heavy plastic or tarps blowing in the wind really freaks out the birds. So, making a more solid window cover might be best, and use it only when needed.

fans:anything you use to move air should be meant for the dusty environment -so look for things meant for barns or livestock if using for any extended period, or mounting permanently.

Sounds like you got it covered , to me! Shade is vital in the south and good ventilation year round is important as well. A dry coop with protection from direct winds from winter nights/storms is all you need if you got the shade. My chickens in the mid south have survived below zero temps(rare but do occur) with no insulated coop, heaters , etc.., but everything suffers in the 100 plus heat indexes that are common and animals die (or suffer terribly) in our heat if they are unable to reach a cooler shady place with plenty of water. The more comfortable your birds the better they perform/prosper! Best wishes for your flock in their new home and BTW, Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom