Pics

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
We don't even have the lumber all salvaged yet, but we went out to flag the footprint this afternoon so we can start drawing better plans.

Initially, we flagged out DH's idea of an 8'X16' coop. Once we had it marked DH said, "That looks smaller than it looked on paper."

I didn't want to go much further downhill and he wanted to leave room to get the pickup truck around it without knocking down the fence anyway, so we've expanded the plan to 12'x16'.

He's planning on cementing the corner posts into the ground but using deck blocks for the other posts and he intends to create a clerestory roof.

Tentative plans are to wall in the uphill side, 8' of the northeastish side, and 4 feet of the northwestish side.

Those dimensions should give us a lot of flexibility for subdivision as needed.

Sounds like it's going to be great! Will you paint it the wonderful rosy color of your current coop?
I'm fond of barn red and white so I'll probably use that same color scheme. While we have the paint I'll probably repaint the old coop to since it's suffered from our brutal sun.

Barn paint is great because it's designed to use on rough, unprimed wood.

OK, the contractors left before it got dark so I got to go out and take some initial pictures.

I don't know how visible the orange flags are. It's 16 feet left-to-right in the photo. 12 feet near to far. Ground slopes to the right and this is high ground on that terrace.

0208211739.jpg

These are the first two heavy, treated boards we've salvaged. 12 feet long, I think? We have to get the nails out but it shouldn't be too hard. We can just cut them with the oscillating tool it's it's too annoying.
0208211739a.jpg

Shots of the building we are salvaging. Some of the round poles are good and lots of other boards in 4 and 6-foot lengths.
0208211740.jpg

0208211741.jpg

The metal is not in good shape. It's thin, full of small holes from the nails, and tears easily. I may use it cut down to 12" strips to contain the bedding inside the wire -- covering the sharp edges with old garden hose.

More salvage accomplished:

16-foot-long 2x8's
0209211011.jpg

These poles are not sound enough for structural purposes, but can be used for things like temporary field shelters, food/water mounts, etc.

0209211013.jpg

The metal is appalling. Like foil.

0209211011c.jpg

The next layer is going to be the heavy boards in 4-8 foot lengths but we've got contractors in the house at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom