Large, Open-Air Coop in Central NC

Pics
I went out this morning before work. The wind had started up and was blowing strongly.

The first thing I noticed as I went down the little hill to the coop was that the landform provides a great deal of shelter, the wind moderating even before I got close to the coop.

Then, after I went in, I walked around the roosting area and found it quite still there.

There are places where they can go to ground in complete shelter if they want to.

So. Have no idea HOW I missed your build thread!

This is FABULOSO! I :loveit.

I was lost as to what your roof style was, but didn't look it up. Figured it would all be explained in pics soon enough, LOL. Was more confused in the 1st pics of framing as I so was not getting it. Then more beams/headers added & perspective change - light bulb moment!!

After living with it for a while, do you get rain through or water dripping from the clerestory window?

So. Have no idea HOW I missed your build thread!

This is FABULOSO! I :loveit.

I was lost as to what your roof style was, but didn't look it up. Figured it would all be explained in pics soon enough, LOL. Was more confused in the 1st pics of framing as I so was not getting it. Then more beams/headers added & perspective change - light bulb moment!!

After living with it for a while, do you get rain through or water dripping from the clerestory window?

Thank you. I didn't understand what my husband was doing with the roof until he put some boards up to make sure which direction I wanted the clerestory to face because he never actually used the word "clerestory" when describing it. :D

I do occasionally have some rain get in there, but since my Deep Litter tends to run too dry for optimal composting (you're very familiar with the extreme drainage in our pure-sand soil), and the coop is so big that even mild hurricanes don't get the roost area wet I don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom