making a hen go broody

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Now, I have done some looking, but most of the posts are about making a hen or wishing a hen would go broody that has never gone broody before. That is not my case.

I am basically in a do over mode, I have 5 hens, 3 of which went broody for me last summer, but of course in July and August - when I could not get either the chicks I wanted or a good source of fertilized eggs. I currently have a chicks on order for late March or first of April. What I would like, is for two hens to be setting when those chicks arrive. If I don't, I can easily brood them myself, if this doesn't work.

I think I read a post here where the person said, with a known broody hen, they could get them broody in a few days, but I will be danged if I can find it. I wish I had pinned it or copied it. I think it went like this:

• Take a crate, and a clutch of eggs (fake) and a nest, and add the hen that has been broody before.
  • Lock her in there, letting her out once a day
  • within a few days - she is suppose to be broody
I won't lose anything to try it. And if it doesn't work, I can still raise the chicks.

Do any of you remember this post - or where it is? Or tried something similar. I know they will go broody, and they were good mothers. I would just like to try it on my time frame.

Any advice?

Mrs K

Personally I think a hen going broody is more in her hormones than locking a bird up and wishing it on her. You might luck out and lock her up about the time her body is telling her to but I think your just gonna end up with a hen in a create with a nest of eggs.

I am also afraid that you have a strong chance of being right. I was hoping that someone would remember where that post was.

I am going to try and enhance it, but providing a 'new' nest in the corner with a towel partially covering the opening. See if I can get anyone to lay there. Then remove any real eggs and add fake eggs over the course of a couple days... pray and cross my fingers...
and watch carefully.

Then lock up any takers, or who I think is my best bet. It won't hurt much to try.

What would be kind of neat is for a couple or more of us to try it.

Mrs K

Here's just a theory: The sound of chicks getting a hen to want to brood. Just a theory though.

Also, something to think about... Is it it's hormones, if there's something that you can give your hen to increase those?

Back
Top Bottom