Making an incubator out of a refridgerator?

I've got a mini-fridge based one. Refridgerators are ideal because the insulation makes them easy to keep temps solid and cheaper to heat than less insulated "things" we build from. You shouldn't need anything like the wattage of a space heater to heat one. Fan or fans, a thermostat and a light bulb or two. People have used heat tape, heat rope, reptile heat mats, curling iron parts, rope lights, christmas lights, reptile heat tape, almost anything that produces light or heat can be rigged to work with some tinkering.

And the options for thermostat are pretty endless and run from the 8-12 dollar lower water heater sort to high end and most places in between. I've gotten dozens of chicks from the bators I ran with just a water heater thermostat. I use a reptile one now, it's plug and play, plug the heat source into the thermostat cord, put the thermostat sensor in the incubator where you want it, set the temp and the cord/thermostat runs it. Easy. I've also used the wafer style and just got a very nice, very very nice one that only has a temp variance of about .3 degrees. Once my antique cabinet bator is refinished I'll be adding that to it.

Understanding and setting up airflow is key in a big unit or you get deadly cold spots, and your hatches stretch out for days, as the warmer eggs hatch first and the cooler ones late or not at all. Ventilation, airflow (fans) and humidity are things you really have to pay attention to in the larger units especially.

So GO FOR IT!!! Even my first couple of builds hatched chicks just fine. There's a learning curve and it gets easier but it's not all that hard to learn.

Quote:
What? Hmmmm, now you have me thinking ...
I just saw an ad for a twenty foot long freezer for $25. 20 FEET LONG ???? Holy cow, that just may work! That is, if I can figure how to transport something that long! LOL

Oops, sorry ... I know this is off topic.
hide.gif

On the other hand .... I do have a mini frig, not in use. I just don't think I have the skills to convert it into a bator. I will, however, read more on the process .... just for the fun of it. (Cuz, I really do NOT need another bator!)

Back
Top Bottom