Making an outlet box using a heavy duty extension cord

I am doing something like this for just this winter since I really have no time to bury it this year. One thing I might add/suggest that I plan to do is this. Most people have an outside outlet. Those outside outlets should be GFI. I am going to hard wire mine to the outside GFI outlet instead of plugging it in. I will run that to an externally mounted electrical box on the coup that will supply the power to everything inside. Next year when I am ready to bury it that is all I will have to do is bury it.....everything else will be done and in place.

A couple of suggestions. If you do want to wire into an existing box, please make sure you turn off the circuit breaker for it before doing anything. Secondly, if you are just wanting to do a temporary set up for this year, you can get the extension cords that are on reels and the reel will have outlets on it. We just bought one at Walmart. I can't remember how many outlets it has but it should work for now.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.
clap.gif
I have an old 1929 Craftsman cottage that was never updated electrically, other than adding a 100amp circuit breaker. My coop is only 35 feet from the house. I liked the idea of the extension cord buried in pvc piping as it was cheap, easy to do and something I know I can handle.
tongue2.gif
I wasn't sure what I would find in the cord once I opened it so I am glad that I got the advice from you all. Eventually, I will hard wire the coop but at least for this winter, I will go with the heavy duty extension ford buried 18 inches under ground in water-tight pvc piping. I do not have an outside outlet so we are drilling a hole in the laundry window and using elbow pvc pieces to run the cord inside this way. I will make sure it is completely water-tight as I know water and electricity don't mix.
old.gif

Advice from an ELECTRICIAN working at Home Depot?

My local HD has gone the teenager/college student route, they ain't one, not one, middle aged semi-retired plumber, electrician, tradesman in the whole place. if you don't know how to do it going in the door, you ain't going to know how to do it leaving.

Extension cord wire in proper size will work. 12ga for 20 amp, 14ga for 15 amp- in general terms. You may have a cheaper alternatives than using extention cord wire.

No option on using conduit, in my opinion.

Quote:
Or even (gasp) call an electrician who doesn't work at home depot.
lol.png
Because, honestly, at the Home Depots I've been in...you'd probably burn your house down taking their wiring advice. And, if electrical code concerns you at all...burying an extension cord doesn't meet code.

(Disclaimer: I am married to an actual master electrician, so I'm a little biased.
wink.png
)

Quote:
Or even (gasp) call an electrician who doesn't work at home depot.
lol.png
Because, honestly, at the Home Depots I've been in...you'd probably burn your house down taking their wiring advice. And, if electrical code concerns you at all...burying an extension cord doesn't meet code.

(Disclaimer: I am married to an actual master electrician, so I'm a little biased.
wink.png
)

Quote:
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
I'm sorry, but that's like going to tractor supply for advice on chickens!!
lau.gif

Yeah, you two are probably right. I was generalizing. My local Home Depot truly has a master electrician who knows the business and is the manager of the department. It's unlikely that ALL Home Depots have one as qualified as he is. You might be better off calling in an electrician for advice.

What are you going to be plugging into the extension cord? I have seen cases where the load was less than the circuit, but higher than the rating on the cord, and then the cord catches fire.

Proper gray PVC or outdoor conduit with solid conductor wire is best, IMHO

Throwing in my $0.02

I run a drop cord from my garage about 200 ft to the coop. I know its a long way.

I wired the coop just like I would a garage. 3 outlets, 2 lights & a switch for them.

Under the coop I have an outlet box that feeds the entire coop.

I made a pig tail (extension cord with male ends on both sides) and simply plug into the extension cord & then plug into the box.

Keep in mind - I don't pull a ton of juice through this & mine is not burried. It actually runs along some woods so I don't mow over it.

The thought of digging a trench that far was too much for me.

*** one thought though on those of you who wish to bury ***
Instead of PVC which comes in peices that must be glued together - buy a roll of flexible drain tile or 1 1/2 black water pipe (the type used for sprinklers & wells). It comes on rolls long enough to reach any distance you want so you won't have joints to worry about.

Just make sure it is large enough diameter for your cord to fit.

Then run a stiff wire from the coop end to the house end & pull your cord through.

This thread reminds me of two things-

1) The people that were either burned (if they were lucky) or died (if they were unlucky) doing something that THEY WERE NOT 100% QUALIFIED TO DO, because they messed with electricity...

2) Why home inspections by GOOD home inspectors is important if you want to buy a house. (No, that is not how I know this.)

I've heard "well, it hadn't killed me yet...." or even "I've done this for (insert # of years here)" way too many times- till there's a body lying on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom