Making blue eggs bluer

I might be misunderstanding what you’re saying still 🙃... but no.

To lay a blue egg the bird only needs one copy of the blue egg gene

Let’s say we cross a CLB rooster with a known blue egg layer...

if we hatch 6 eggs from that pairing and all 6 end up being pullets and we wait and find out that they all lay blue eggs, we’ve not proved anything about either of the parents carrying two copies of the blue egg gene.

and actually we haven’t even proved that both parents carry one copy of the blue egg gene, because chance says that we could have just got lucky and ended up with six pullets that received one copy of it from the same parent.

if we do the same cross and one or more of the resulting pullets ends up laying a white egg then
we can know that both parents are heterozygous

But let’s say one parent is homozygous ( 2copies) and one is heterozygous... then all the pullets will lay blue eggs, but we still don’t know which parent is homozygous

So that was what I was asking, was how can you tell that either parent carries two copies of the blue egg gene? I’m not sure that you can.
Hmm. well, I guess since 6 of 6 chicks laid blue, I wouldn't really care! LOL

I always assumed that if both lay blue you will get blue.

For me, in my crosses, I seem to achieve a lot of blue. I am quickly running out of brown egg layers.... but now I have marans so they can help out with that.

Hmm. well, I guess since 6 of 6 chicks laid blue, I wouldn't really care! LOL

I always assumed that if both lay blue you will get blue.

For me, in my crosses, I seem to achieve a lot of blue. I am quickly running out of brown egg layers.... but now I have marans so they can help out with that.

lol... ok well that’s fair, and honestly for most folks ( myself included) that’s good enough.

I just see a lot of stuff on BYC and on various homesteader blogs etc, that are making assumptions of the same type but misstating things along the way.

the thing I’ve been trying to figure out, is if two copies of the blue egg gene really results in darker blue, as is often stated.

but I’ve not been able to able to find anything by researchers or serious breeders that conclusively proved this...

and in fact I’ve read some discussions on other sites by serious Ameraucana folks that suggest that it might not be the case.

lol... ok well that’s fair, and honestly for most folks ( myself included) that’s good enough.

I just see a lot of stuff on BYC and on various homesteader blogs etc, that are making assumptions of the same type but misstating things along the way.

the thing I’ve been trying to figure out, is if two copies of the blue egg gene really results in darker blue, as is often stated.

but I’ve not been able to able to find anything by researchers or serious breeders that conclusively proved this...

and in fact I’ve read some discussions on other sites by serious Ameraucana folks that suggest that it might not be the case.
I am only guessing, but my money would be that its not the case. Nothing seems to be what it is with chicken genetics!

2m.PNG

This is the egg that hatched my avatar, her dad's gene color is below...
2n.PNG

Avatar's egg below. Also below is a dark brown egg (BCM) if you can mix that egg with the purple, I believe you would have mauve.
2p.PNG

Hmmm. Very interesting. I really like the grey egg above. its cool. I have a hen that lays pink- at least in the dark barn when collecting it almost glows. I think I will put together my dream team of hens that lay all shades, but I just have etc figure out which rooster to put them with. Marans, OE, mossy green or blue ? I know so little about what makes up the colours- all I know if there is white shells and blue shells and then layers of colour and bloom. Does anyone know of the bloom is a separate gene then the "paint" colour?
My green eggs are skewed more blue at the moment, but I have one or two hens that lay a nice solid moss green. And I have a few OE chicks that Im growing out. Will have to wait til spring to see what they lay.

People used to call it a stone colored egg...

her babies (frizzle and BCM) are laying the deep green upper left and the dirty one near it. I do have other hens laying a gray, not with the stone look though. Below the upper blue is a blue bell egger, and the middle is from a cream legbar.
11.PNG

Upper one is not of my avatar, but still keeping it gray.
greye.PNG

Back
Top Bottom