Making/Buying an incubator

Mary Galbraith

Chirping
Sep 20, 2017
I've saw Tons of incubator for sale online ranging from $55-$3000 and more, I'm pretty clueless in this department but I'm doing research, then I've saw some really awesome homemade incubator.
I don't $100 bucks to spend on one let alone $3000-$4000. So I'm curious has anyone made an incubator that will last through many hatches for under $100.
I do have a couple questions also how do you control heating in a homemade one? I understand humidity a sponge in a tube with water.

Also has anyone bought an incubator for under $100 I'm wanting one that does at least 24 eggs.
I saw one on Amazon with an egg turner it holds 48 eggs and costs $60, the reviews are pretty good some bad but more good.

I recently hatched chicks in a $60.00 incubator from amazon and lost my whole hatch at day 16 due to it over heating the chicks. There is nothing worst as a first time hatcher then to have the babies you are waiting for die. This was my fourth hatching and it was horrible as you get so excited for the hatching to begin.

I have recent done research in to using these types of incubators and have found that they can kill by not allowing the air to flow correctly and the chicks die from Carbonize poisoning. So if it you have to wait for a little extra money, I would recommend getting a Brinsea. On there website they have incubators for less that have a scrach or have a small dent. They have the same protection plan and Brinsea is really good about sending all the information on how and what to do if you are hatching chicks.

Good Luck and I hope that you find a great incubator for hatching.

there are several videos on youtube about people making them out of styrofoam coolers. They appear to work pretty well. You can buy a egg turner and put it in there or turn them by hand.

If you can manage to save up a bit more money, I highly recommend the Incuview from Incubator warehouse. It's a very reliable, very stable incubator. Completely programmable for a variety of conditions, easy to use, easy to clean, easy to replace a part if something does break. The turning tray and motor are included in the purchase price, which is a huge advantage over the more pricey brands. And they come with a 1 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom