Making Dominant White?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Aug 20, 2011.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    How do you work on creating a line of dominant white birds in a breed that is usually recessive white?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Introduce it from another breed. (preferably the closest to it)

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:if the end results are the same(white birds) why would you want to do that for?....[​IMG]

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    leghorns are dominate white. you cross your birds with a dominate white bird and then try to breed it back to your breed's standard. I had a wyandotte which in the US are supposed to be recessive white, mine had both, that can complicate things.

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Stay Clear from Leghorns.... they not only carry Dominant white "I" they also carry Blue(Bl) Recessive Mottling(mo) that will plage your breeding for years... they are based on Silver and Er(Birche).... and they also carry sex linked barring...[​IMG]

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I do know that leghorns carry dominant white....I have crossed them with cochins and jersey giants over the years and always end up with sex linked offspring. Males have yellow legs, females have dark legs. Females are white with black spots, males are either solid white or white with barred spots.

What other breeds are dominant white?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by