Making Feed at Home

@U_Stormcrow this looks like a very useful spreadsheet! I am feeding my chicken with Cockspur grass and I have tested the gluten and protein levels of it in a lab - 11.13% protein. Same as wheat here.
I am also feeding my chicken with eggs and meaworms, but I think the spreadsheet is only for grains, right?
I recently discovered chickpeas are the same price as wheat here, but have not tested in a lab the protein levels, as there were only two bags in the shop anyway and they didn't expect a new batch soon
Protein is only a small part of a complete meal, and no, the spreadsheet isn't limited to just grains and seeds, though it is limited by a lack of good data for AA ratios on some ingredients, and mKE for others.

I am not an expert, but I think - if you are aiming the top 3 ingredients necessary for chicken and then add whatever is available during the season at a lower cost (fruits, veggies, other corns, etc) chicken should be ok.
So I am aiming:
high protein - peas and soy. I am considering adding mealworms in larger quantities too, but I am still reading about mealworms...
Calcium - plenty of egg shells. I don't buy oyster shells as they are expensive here.
Methionine - wheat..
Then I add PLENTY of whatever else is available and cheap at the season.

I get about 60-70% egg production and the calculations were ok (income from selling eggs was covering expenses)
until the war in Ukraine as wheat doubled the price as soon as the war started.
Again, I am not saying I am right, but this seems to be working for me.

Corn and Milo Maize -- it's possible to confuse the 2 because of cultural differences so consider being be clear in this respect .

Being a chicken will flip whole grains they don't prefer out of a feeder and eat those grains they prefer , i suggest you offer each of what you are considering in separate feeders before making the decision of which grains .

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...s-in-poultry-diets/soybeans-in-poultry-diets/

Last edited:
But once those grains are not there anymore and they are still hungry, won't they go back and get the ones they flipped? Kind of like that Cockatoo school of Act picky but eat everything anyways?

But once those grains are not there anymore and they are still hungry, won't they go back and get the ones they flipped? Kind of like that Cockatoo school of Act picky but eat everything anyways?
Key word being "they". The top of the pecking order will consistently get mostly the preferred type; bottom of the pecking order will consistently get mostly what is left.

While this may be true they may loose weight . Lets look at this from a human perspective . If people had a choice of apple pie or spinach they may choose the pie but eventually the pie has been consumed then will eat the spinach and loose weight in the process because of flavor but also reduced caloric intake .

Hey , there's an idea and you may become more famous than Marie Osmond .

From poultry management textbook published in 1952. The book has much, much, more information on nutrition and feeding than just these few pages. Even the whole book is NOT better than poultry feeds currently available in the US.

Partly because more is known about nutrition (notice quote from page 341, "Animal proteins. These products serve as a source of protein, minerals, vitamin B12, and at least one other still-unidentified nutrient."

Partly because chickens have changed. This book says published records of egg-laying tests "reveals the tremendous progress"... 1919 1,000 birds entered into one of the leading contests laid an average of 145.5. Same test is 1947, the average was 228.2. Today, most backyard hens will lay an egg almost every day.

And partly it is because the nutrient value of many plants had decreased due to selecting for other characteristics - like flavor, size, and production.

This is almost certainly better than the vast majority of rations you will find online. If I did not have access to chicken feed, I would choose a breed that was not a top producer and then select for the ability to forage and the ability to adjust production in response to diet. And do a lot of research.
Dang! You have a book and everything! Looks like your ready for anything!

I just feed a whole grain mix no maize, let them free range, veggies, fruits, lots of seeds and supplement as I think best. Supplements include vitamins, probiotics, seaweed, herbs, sprouts, protein sources… for example.

I think the flock is coming along nicel.

A1E20935-ECCB-4813-B55A-05A4786FF40F.jpeg
757F2C48-907F-4D48-B84D-D97C1EC8EADD.jpeg
314487E8-33F2-4B5A-9585-460E28E497C0.jpeg
5EF9D5EC-39DC-494E-BA22-BDFC87A65202.jpeg
6B8BF4BD-61D1-4F7A-8599-923ED587B619.jpeg
BE3101FF-4DD1-4265-AEA2-32DB820EAD1F.jpeg
0A896528-8E93-4575-9F16-45733FB4459D.jpeg

So, grind everything up into a crumble / powder, add water to make oatmeal.

You'll EAT IT and you'll LIKE IT !! :D :p

If only it really were that easy.

Thank you for the replies. Dealing with ONE bird yes you can force your will upon it, (with revenge coming, you are NOT out of the woods there !! ) But with many, I can see where pecking order and other external drivers can cause more issues.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom