making flock tame & friendly

Naria

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Byron, GA
Hello, I am new to chicken keeping and this forum. I just got the greenlight from my sweet bf for a handfull of hens. (but, with several major things going on, I cannot get them for a couple months) SO - I am doing my homework.

My main topic / question for this thread is this: I really want tame and friendly birds that I can pet and handle without much stress on either of us. I am planning on getting day-old chicks and spending time with them every day to get them used to me.

If I spend time with them daily for the first 6 months-1 year of their lives, will they forget me if I have to leave town for a couple months at a time. (I am in the military) and while my bf aggreed to feed and take care of their basic needs, he won't spend time petting / them.

I understand that each individual will have it's own personality and breeds have their tendancies, but I am hoping that after a long absence, they might still remember me and not be afraid if they arn't shown much affection while I'm gone.

Thanks for your input-
Naria

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If you plan on spending time with your chicks daily and you get a breed that is friendly (some breeds just aren't), then you shouldn't have a problem with having friendly birds. Try hand feeding treats as much as possible once they get big enough to have them. That will help too.

What breeds are you planning on getting?

Hey!!
welcome-byc.gif

Treats, handling and time will do it for you! They will love you no matter what!

I agree, you should definitely pick out a friendly natured breed and that will help a lot!

I like the idea of multicolored eggs, so definately a couple Easter Egg/Americaunas; but I also love the look of the Polish and their silly 'afro'

I guess my main concern is if I have to go away for 3 months and they only get minimal human interaction during that time - would they start to forget and fear people? I don't know much about chicken memory..

I think even if they did "forget" you they'd remember really quick when you reappear with treats - especially if they weren't getting much beyond the basics while you're gone. They seem reeeaally food motivated, so just bribe them (like little children!). They do seem smarter than I'd given them credit for (I'm just starting with my first batch). Mine have already figured out there's no point in getting excited to see me at dusk, when I get home from work, because I'm only collecting their dirty dishes. I was greeted with a collective yawn tonight - but I know the morning will be different because I'll be showing up with their oatmeal and veggies
wink.png

My RIR's and WL's I got when they were a day old. My others I got when they were grown (My BO was 2 years, the rest were +/- 6 months.) I can tell the difference, the ones I got when they were grown are getting friendly, but my RIR's follow me everywhere and beg to get picked up and hugged!

I agree with fargosmom - the key is food and treats. They would learn to get excited to see a fox if it came baring food for them
wink.png

Handle them a lot as babies and spend as much time with them as you can as they grow. When you get back from your trips, be sure to show up with treats! I think you'll be just fine.

Good luck!
Penny

Back
Top Bottom