Making friends with a new hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by puddinbabe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. puddinbabe

puddinbabe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    I have a lonely hen and am getting her a friend this week. My hen is very nice. She follows me around, wants treats, doesn't mind if I pick her up or examine her. I can't find anyone else around that has such "domesticated" hens. So I'll be getting one that, as the sellers say, "can be caught" but that's about it.

The question is - is there anything I can do to more quickly make friends with the new hen? She'll hopefully follow the lead of the established hen and see that I don't mean harm and that I have food, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

I think the new girl will be an Astralorp or Americana. Thanks for the help in advance!

annie

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Chickens are usually social critters, but here and there you just get a grump that doesn't want a friend. Your hen sounds nice and friendly I don't think you'll have a problem. A way to a chickens heart is through its tummy [​IMG] Goodluck keep us posted

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Yes, treats are the key. This time of year, maybe warm oatmeal, cracked corn, veggies, etc. I think things will work out fine for you and the "ladies".

Oh, and [​IMG]

BTW, I love your moniker - puddinbabe!

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought a hen like the one you are thinking about...and she follows the behaviors of her mate now....she now allows us to handfeed her crickets and grasshoppers (which is a huge step for her). She's coming around.

BTW -- where are you located....maybe a few of us have "friendly" birds to share...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by