Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Likewise, except a lack of demand for colored shells... FL's laws aren't entirely unreasonable for small producers.

I am very near a high-end retirement community and some golf resorts. There should be a market for fanciness.

I work at a high-end grocery store and know from talking to customers that they expect large and extra-large eggs like they'd get in the store -- except fresher and fancier.

So when I choose eggs to incubate I'll probably aim for 60-65g if I can.

I am very near a high-end retirement community and some golf resorts. There should be a market for fanciness.

I work at a high-end grocery store and know from talking to customers that they expect large and extra-large eggs like they'd get in the store -- except fresher and fancier.

So when I choose eggs to incubate I'll probably aim for 60-65g if I can.
Knowing your market is key. If I lived miles south, on the Gulf, I'd have an entirely different clientele, and an entirely different goal in culling. I'd also have taken the USDA loan, and gone certified organic - because they would pay that price premium.

More culling at some point this week, still haven't started new incubations. We've been near freezing off and on, will be 35 tonight, 29 tomorrow, 25 later in the week. I know that's not cold for the rest of the nation, but its definitely "cool" for FL. My birds are loving it. Even with last night's 1.5" or rain, and a high wind advisory, they were going about their day (until dusk) like any other.

I, however, am not.

Morning shot of a semi-succesful effort in advancing the project, puffed out in the weather (37, light wind), standing on one of the feeders. That plastic gutter has been in use as a trough for about 15 months now. Stays pretty clean.

20220122_093326.jpg

Back
Top Bottom